Chapter Twenty Four

"Hercules," Lafayette said loudly, poking at his sleeping boyfriend's face. "Mon amour, wake up." Hercules groaned, rolling over so that his back was turned to Lafayette. Lafayette sighed, shaking his head as he grabbed Hercules' shoulder, pulling him so that his back was against the mattress. Herc tried to roll back over before Lafayette leaned down and joined their lips softly.

"I'm awake," Hercules mumbled as Laf pulled away. "Baby, is there a reason I'm you woke me?"

"I wanna go for a walk," Lafayette stared happily, grabbing Hercules' hand, dragging him off of the bed. Hercules hit the floor with a thump, groaning as he impacted the carpet. "Come on Herc, let's go."

"Laf, what time is it?" Hercules asked, looking up at Lafayette, making no effort to get up from the floor.

"Like three o'clock," Lafayette said shrugging.

"You woke me up at three in the morning to go for a walk?!" Lafayette nodded proudly, holding his hand out for Hercules before pulling him to his feet. "We are not going for a walk at three a.m.," Hercules sighed as Lafayette pouted, wrapping his arms around Hercules' neck. "Fine. You're lucky you're cute."

Hercules pulled on a hoodie, lending a different sweatshirt to Laf. It was too big for him, but he didn't mind, and neither did Hercules, he found it quite adorable.

Herc grabbed his phone before letting Lafayette drag him out of the apartment and into the cold night air. They walked aimlessly, not going anywhere specific, just enjoying the calmness of the quiet streets and each other's company.

"Thank you for coming with me," Lafayette said as he took Hercules' hand, threading their fingers together. Hercules nodded, though his attention was focused on his surroundings. He recognized the road they were on, and he felt panic flood his system. "Isn't it just so beautiful out here? Look at the moon."

"Baby, I think we should turn around," Hercules said, tugging at Lafayette's hand, stopping in his tracks. "This isn't the best neighborhood."

"It'll be fine-"

"Who the fuck are you two pansies?" The two heard a voice ask. A guy, around their age and around the same height as Lafayette approached them, his arms crossed. Hercules backed up, pulling Lafayette behind him. "I said, who the fuck are you?!"

"Look sir, we don't want any trouble," Hercules said in a calm tone. He glanced at Laf, seeing how the Frenchman seemed utterly unafraid.

"Shut up," the man snarled, pulling a gun out of his pocket, pointing at at Hercules' chest. "I don't need a couple of fairies walking around in my neighborhood, hear me?"

"Yes, we're just leaving-"

"What gives you the right to talk down on us just because we're together?" Lafayette said, glaring at the man, who only seemed to be more annoyed by the question. Hercules grabbed Lafayette's shoulder, silently begging him to keep his mouth shut. "Seriously, you petty Americans always quarrel over things that don't affect you when you could be worried about bigger things."

"Shut your mouth, frenchie," the man growled, his thumb now placed on the trigger.

"Non," Lafayette said, crossing his arms. "I will not do anything of the sort, Monsieur." The guy raised an eyebrow, surprised by Lafayette's pride.

"Oh yeah, well looks like your boyfriend is going to have to pay, since you can't keep your dirty mouth shut," Lafayette's as widened as he heard the click, followed by a loud bang. "See you around, scum."

Lafayette turned to see Hercules, crumbling to the ground, blood seeping through his shirt. Lafayette's eyes widened in panic as he kneeled, pulling Hercules close, putting pressure on the bullet-wound. "No, no, Hercules!" Tears stained Lafayette's face as he pulled out his phone, his shaking fingers dialing 911 hastily.

"Laf," Hercules mumbled, tugging at Lafayette's hoodie as Laf informed the operator of the situation, and where they were. "Baby, I love you."

"Shut up, Hercules. Please don't say that, don't say it like you're leaving," Lafayette choked out, tears flooding down his cheeks. "There's an ambulance coming, mon amour. You're going to be okay, you hear me? God, this is all my fault." Hercules only smiled, weakly squeezing Lafayette's hand as he repeated the same three words over and over.

"I love you."