Chapter 6: The chipped cup

It had snowed all night long. A thick white blanket covered the castle and its surroundings. Belle opened her eyes. She was still in the dungeon. It had not been a dream. This nightmare was so real. She suddenly heard footsteps. The beating of her heart began to accelerate. It was probably the monster, she thought. "What will he do to me? ". The door opened suddenly. Belle gasped. It was him. He stood before her, a mischievous grin on his face.

-Hello dearie! he said with a mischievous laugh.
Belle could not utter a word; she was too frightened for that.

-It is time for you to get out of your room and start working!
Room! How dare him call it a room, thought Belle. Work? He would therefore not kill her. The thought comforted her. But what will she do?

-Come on, follow me! he said to her.

Belle complied. They descended the grand staircase and arrived in the dining room. Rumple then led the girl into another room that strongly resembled a kitchen, but a kitchen that had not served for a long time.

-You will prepare my tea, and you’ll bring it to me into the dining room. He ordered.

Belle then found herself alone in this huge kitchen.

The Dark One was sitting at the end of the large table in the dining room when Belle came with a tray in hand. She laid it on the table. Rumpelstiltskin, hands clasped, was examining her every move.

-You’ll serve my meals and you will clean the Dark Castle. He said to the young woman.
Belle nodded nervously.

-You’ll dust my trinkets and you will launder my clothes. He continued.

-Yes, understood, said the young woman, while pouring tea in one of the cups.

-You’ll fetch fresh straw when I am busy at my wheel.

-Yes, of course. Belle replied, trying to memorize everything Rumple was saying.

-Oh, and you’ll skin the children I hunt to tan their skin. He said while staring at her.

Belle then dropped the cup she was holding, horrified by what he had just said.

-It was a joke! I got you! he said, smiling. "I was not being serious."

Belle did not know how to react. She attempted a small smile of relief. She never imagined that the Dark One could have a sense of humor. She looked down to pick up the cup she had dropped. To her dismay, she realized that the cup was chipped. She had damaged it by dropping it like this. She had chipped one of the Dark One’s cups. He was going to be furious, she thought.

-Oh no! she gasped.

Rumple leaned over to see why she was on the ground.

-I'm sorry, but it is... I'm sorry, it’s chipped. She said in a trembling voice.

The dark One was staring straight at her.

-But you can hardly see it, she continued. She wanted to cry. Why had she done that! Why had she dropped it like an idiot, she thought.

-It’s just a cup! Said the Dark One, to Belle’s relief.

She was delighted that he would react this well. She gave him her most beautiful smile, then continued to serve tea. Rumple watched her.

-You will need new clothes. He said looking at the beautiful golden dress she wore, but that was not really appropriate for cleaning.

He snapped his fingers, and Belle sas dressed in a cute blue dress and an apron.