Chapter 2: The Dagger

[I write in English, but it's not my mother tongue. Don't hesitate to tell me, if you see any mistakes. Good reading!]

Rumple felt the sunbeams on his face. He opened his eyes, wondering where he was. His memory gradually returned, he remembered how the king's men had humiliated him in front of his son. Besides, where was his son? He suddenly sat up, surprised that his wounds from the day before almost did not hurt him anymore. Worried, he shouted the name of his son. The woman then entered the cabin. When she saw him, she exclaimed:

"You seem to be better!"

-Where is my son? Rumple asked.

-Your son is well, reassured the woman.

She called Baelfire who was outside the hut and asked him to come back. He immediately threw himself into his father's arms. The woman left them for a moment to share this moment of happiness. A few minutes later, Rumpelstiltskin went out of the hut, assisted by his son. He approached the woman who was preparing lunch.

-I thank you, he said, "but we will not outstay your welcome any longer. We are going to resume our journey.

" But you are not going to take the same road as last night! she said. "They will find you, for sure!"

-She is right, Dad, Baelfire said.

Rumple had to face facts: it was not very careful. But what else could he do?

-But I cannot go back to my village. At this hour, they are probably already stealing children from their parents. Whatever I do, I am trapped, said Rumple, looking distraught.

'I may know a way that could help you. The woman said calmly.

-Which is? Rumple asked, eyes filled with hope.

-A legend says that there is a castle deep within this forest. And in this castle, behind a huge tapestry, a dagger with magical powers is hidden.

Rumple listened attentively.

-He who possess this dagger can summon the Dark One, pursued the woman. "This creature has the strongest powers that can exist. It is even said that the one who kills him with the dagger recovers his powers and becomes in turn the Dark One."

'But if this is true, why didn't you go there? Rumple replied.

-I might live in misery, but it is not enough to use such a great magic. Because magic always comes with a price. And the more powerful and obscure magic is, the higher the price, explained the woman. "But since you have no other options, the Dark One might be able to protect you and your son. "

Rumple looked at his son, who looked back at him.

-We are going to get that dagger, decided Rumple. "Thank you madam for your hospitality." He was about to leave when he asked: "Excuse me, but I have not even introduced myself to you. My name is Rumpelstiltskin, and I am happy to have met you. "

-Meas well, she replied. "If ever we meet again, you can call me Cora."

***

-Always reading! said Mary-Margaret while she entered the room with a tray of food in her hands. The sound of her voice startled the young woman sitting on her hospital bed, and interrupted her reading.

-I'm sorry, I did not mean to scare you, apologized nurse.

-It's nothing, the young woman replied. She closed her book and put it on her bedside table. Mary-Margaret put the tray on a small table on wheels and put it at the disposal of the young woman.