Chapter 3: Broken heart

Belle went out of the bathroom, she had just put on clothes she had been given. The dress she had been wearing when she was found was in a miserable state, and unwearable. Her recovery at the hospital was over, and she could finally leave. A knock on her bedroom door startled the young woman. A woman of forty, dressed in a suit and high heels, entered. She went to Belle and shook her hand.

-Good morning, let me introduce myself, I'm Regina Mills, the mayor of this town.

Belle was surprised at this statement. The mayor herself came to find her, but why?

-I just wanted to make sure everything is going well for you.

-Yes, thank you for worrying about me, I'm fine even if I do not recall anything.

-Don't you remember where you come from? asked Regina.

-No, nothing. Belle repeated.

-You do not remember your name, I guess. Regina said turning towards the exit.

-I'm Belle, she said, thinking back of Mary-Margaret. Regina stopped short. Without looking back, she muttered: "Belle, what a lovely name."

Following the quite surprising visit of the mayor, Belle left the hospital. She could come and go as she wished. But that was precisely the problem. Where could she go? She did not know this city. And this city did not know her. She then walked along main street. But what did she hope to find? She did not even have money on her to pay for a hotel room. In the end, she was better off in the hospital, she thought. She kept walking, her book in hand, when she passed a imposing building. Intrigued, she looked at the front. On it appeared a white rabbit and the name was registered in capital letters: "Rabbit Hole". It seemed to be a pub and restaurant, attracting all kinds of people.

-Looking for something? said a man smoking a cigarette on the pavement. He was tall, and had very dark hair. He seemed very confident. Belle turned to him a little surprise.

- Uh ... nothing in particular, said Belle. "I'm discovering this town."

-You are new? the man asked.

-Yes.

-Where are you from? Belle seemed more and more bothered by these questions. But she wanted to be polite. So she continued the conversation.

-Here and elsewhere, she said jokingly.

-I like mysterious women. The man said with a smile. "And what is your name, pretty girl? "He asked, approaching the young woman.

-Belle.

-What lovely name! Let me introduce myself, I am Gaston, the owner of this restaurant.

Belle should have been impressed by such a man, but she did not like this kind of person full of themselves and acting like Don Juan. Belle was about to answer him when she saw on the front door of the restaurant a poster announcing a waitress vacancy. Now was the time for Belle to find a job, make some money in order to stay a little time in this city to find out more about her past, and what she was doing here before her accident.

-You are looking for a waitress? she asked Gaston.

-Indeed, you are interested? he asked.

-Yes of course! Belle said.

-So, you are hired on the spot! Gaston announced, "You even have a apartment on the first floor at your disposal.

Belle would have preferred to sleep in a quieter place, but to start with, she should not be difficult. Belle therefore accepted Gaston's offer. The latter showed her the room. Once he was gone, Belle sat on the bed with her book, resuming her reading of exciting stories.