Part 1: Chapter 16

Mr. Carr who was followed by Ade, Sophia and Sharni approached his big white van where Vernon and Andre were waiting.

"Hey Uncle Alan!" Andre said cheerfully. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"I'm de Boss 'ere." Mr. Carr said proudly. "Can't live a day without working 'ere."

Andre laughed at himself for forgetting that little detail. "Of course!"

"And please, just call me Alan." Mr. Carr said politely as he took out his keys for the van. "I know I am your uncle, but because you're only 10 years younger dan me, I don't mind you calling me by ma name, y'know what I'm sayin'?."

"Er...Thanks," Andre stammered as he smiled with appreciation. "But I really prefer to call you 'Uncle'."

"Suit yourself." Mr. Carr sighed as he opened the doors. "You're like ma future daughter-in-law, Sophia. I still can't get 'er to call me 'Dad'."

Sophia giggled as she caught up with Ade and Sharni by her side.

"I promise I'll call you 'Dad' just as soon as Verney proposes to me." Sophia said as she looked at her boyfriend with a mock-threatening expression.

Vernon gave a smile of uneasiness. "I-I-I will, don't you worry."

Andre burst out laughing.

"You still haven't grown out of your shaky knees, have you?" He said, giving a hard pat on his cousin's back.

"Yeah man! You tell 'im ma boy!" Mr. Carr laughed with agreement. He took off his jacket and stepped in to his van to prepare the inside.

Vernon turned bashful and looked down at his feet.

"You got that right." He mumbled. Then he cleared his throat, and looked back up as he put on a brave face. "But I promise, just as soon as our family issues are resolved, I'll go and get that ring!"

Andre turned confused. "Family issues?"

Vernon gulped with guilt. He realized that he still needed fill Andre in with the last updates of their lives.

Luckily before Vernon could say anymore, Sharni ran to Andre's side.

"Hey, you ok?" Andre asked as Sharni hugged him tight.

Sharni nodded in response.

"She probably missed you." Ade laughed. "That's why she wanted to give you a hug."

Vernon turned slightly concerned in a joking manner. "Why, didn't she get entertained properly?"

Sophia and Ade exchanged looks of uneasiness. They were unsure whether or not to tell Vernon what really happened. Should they tell him that Sophia got tricked into leaving Sharni alone in the staffroom or not? They needed to find an answer quick.

"Is there room for one more?" Vince called out as he joined in the group.

"Speak of the devil." Ade whispered to his sister. He felt a little relieved that at least someone broke the tension.

"Don't say a word about it, Ade." Sophia whispered back.

"Don't worry, sis." Ade reassured his sister. "I have my mouth zipped shut."

Sharni's grip on Andre's shirt tightened. She could feel the dark ambience floating around in the atmosphere again. The imagery of her and Vince in the staffroom came back unwillingly into her mind. Of course, it was okay for a while when they had a proper conversation after Darwin left the room. But soon after it had finished, Vince seemed to have that creepy stare again that made her feel insecure. She recalled the hairs down her back stand up as he lightly stroked her arm with his index finger from shoulder to elbow.