Part 1: Chapter 1

Just three weeks ago, it was the first day at college of Fall 2003. The sky was clear blue with the sun shining very brightly. Trees still had their green leaves glistening from the reflection of the sun's rays.

The college ground was very spacious and it was filled with new students everywhere. A big circular fountain stood in the middle of the ground in front of the college building.

Some of the new students were confused of knowing their way around. Some were alone and some were walking around with friends they knew from primary and high schools. Others had a few of their family members hugging and kissing them as they wished them luck on their first day.

Sharni Hendry was a beautiful Asian girl with a Christian background. She had long black, silky hair, loosely tied in two plaits. She was about 5ft 3inches tall. She was wearing a red off-shoulder, full-sleeve crop top and a black mini skirt.

Her eyes were closed as she felt the light breeze blow through her side bangs. She smiled as she imagined her parents blow a kiss as they gave her their blessings.

A hand landed on Sharni's bare shoulder. She opened her eyes and looked up to her guardian and exchanged smiles.

While walking with her guardian, Andre, towards the gates of the college, Sharni was both worried and excited.

"I hope this will be better than school." She said. Her big brown eyes twinkled in the sun as she looked up to her guardian, who was a head taller than her.

"Of course, it will." Said Andre. "At least you don't have to come home every night to see your boring old guardian."

"Andre, don't be silly, I love you," Sharni said, ruffling his short dark brown hair. "And I always will."

Andre brushed his long bangs back revealing his round brown eyes which twinkled back at Sharni as he smiled.

Sharni gave Andre a hug. "I'm going to miss you."

Andre stroked the back of her head. "Don't worry you'll be fine."

Sharni looked up to him. "You really think so?"

"Of course!" Andre smiled. "As long as you and your best friend Lisa are together, nothing will go wrong."

Sharni giggled. "Oh yes, you're right there, Andre!"

Andre smiled again. Suddenly he turned concerned as his round brown eyes started to search the nearby grounds. Knowing that in school, Lisa was the only one by Sharni's side at all times when every other student pushed her into isolation, Andre did not want his girl to feel the same in this new college environment. At seeing the two girls happy together, would put his mind at ease.

"Say, where is she anyway?" He questioned.

"Oh she should be around here somewhere." Sharni assure him. "Anyway, I guess I have to get going."

"Okay, young lady." Andre squeezed Sharni tightly as he kissed her forehead. "Good luck."

Sharni kissed Andre on the cheek and walked off, leaving her guardian to watch his grown up girl go in through the doors of the college.

Andre had taken Sharni into his care when he was only 18, shortly after her parents tragically died in a car crash. He was a neighbor at that time and was quite close to the family. Sharni was ten years younger than Andre, but she always used to enjoy the company of her neighbor, now her legal guardian.

Now Sharni was sixteen and Andre was twenty-six, he could not believe that his girl was growing into a beautiful woman.

Looking at her now, Andre saw her as part of his family, and would do anything to protect her. He always wanted to see her happy, and despite of what happened at school, he still believed that Sharni deserved that special true love she had longed for.

Steven Wilks and his friends from school were chatting away, like they did in high school, as they walked their way to the college.

"So, you looking forward to starting?" Asked Hazel, as her two ginger ponytails flared in the breeze. She was actually Steven's ex-girlfriend from high school, but they were still good friends.

"Not really, I'd rather stay at home or earn big bucks like dad," said Steven. His small brown eyes scrunched up on the idea of coming to college and continuing to study. "But mom and dad insisted that I should get 'more educated' before getting a job."

Hazel nodded with a smile. She knew the real reason why Steven came to college against his own will.

Steven had a 'scruffy' but decent look about him. His short dark brown hair seemed to have a few strands hair stick out, yet his bangs were nicely brushed to the side. He wore a maroon shirt with the top button undone and black trousers. Many girls adored him and so he was kind of known as 'the girls' boy'.

"But, I am!" Said Lila, another friend of Steven's. "You can enjoy college life as well as doing your studies."

"Oh yeah?" Muttered Steven, as he seemed to look unconvinced.

Hazel smiled as she was laughing inside. She tried to change the subject.

"Say, what room are you staying at?" She asked. The college had a few apartment buildings near by for the students to stay while they were studying.

"Room number 74." Steven said.

"Room 74?!" A male's voice, familiar to Steven came from behind them. "You're not alone, pal."

Steven and his friends turned to see who it was.

It was Vince Carr, a friend of Steven from a youth club and neighbor. A cool looking guy with bright green eyes and hair with the color of a clear night sky. His gelled up hair was vigorously reflecting the sun's bright light with his long zig-zag bangs blowing in the gentle wind. His golden brown skin glistened in the sun. He got it from a mixture of his English mother and Jamaican father. He usually wore smart clothes, but today, he wore a blue tank top and black combat trousers. On the contrary, he never had it easy when it came to girls like Steven did. Still he had hope.

"Hey Vince! I didn't think you'd make it!" Steven laughed with a hint of sarcasm.

"I didn't think you'd be here too, Steve." Vince said with his straight black eyebrows scrunched up. "What gives?"

"Oh I had some last minute changes." Steven smiled.

"So what made you choose this college, Vince?" Lila asked.

"Oh I guess you can say something about it has turned me on." Vince winked. "And there's more chance of becoming a businessman if you come here."

"You're very optimistic, Vince." Steven laughed.

Vince let out a small laughed under his breath.

There's only one thing I'm after. Vince smirked as he reminded himself. And that is Sharni.