♪Battlefield♪;{JONAS The t.v show} Episode Fifteen

“Jason Segel is the best,” I told Stella as a laugh left my lips, an arm around Kevin’s. Stella had an arm around Joe’s and the boys led us out of the theater, having just seen The Five-Year Engagement, and down the street where we had decided to get dinner at a restaurant called My Sweet Darlin’. According to Stella and Joe, it was famous for its pastries.

“He really is!” Stella replied with a dreamy sigh. “If there were a celebrity I ever wanted to meet, it would be him.”

“Hey!” Joe and Kevin said in unison.

“You two don’t count,” Stella countered with a wiggle of her nose. “I’ve known you guys since forever.”

“Well, gee, thanks Stella,” Joe mumbled, scrunching up his nose. Stella looked up at him and frowned, patting his arm. He looked down at her and grinned. I gave Kevin’s arm a squeeze and nodded toward the two. The elder Lucas smiled at the sight.

“It’s about time,” he whispered to me. I gave Kevin a smile. Although Joe and Stella were getting closer, it wasn’t enough. The two would only think that it was an outing of friendship -- both too afraid to be the first to step up to the plate and say that it was their first date.

Kevin held the door open when we got to the restaurant and we were seated towards the back. Stella and Joe had ordered some sort of ice cream dessert and Kevin and I ordered a chocolate molten cake. About halfway through our dessert, Joe stood up, clearing his throat.

“Hey Rayne, can you come with me?” He asked. I looked between Stella and Kevin, silently asking if they knew what was up. They shrugged and I looked up at Joe, suddenly feeling nervous. I swallowed thickly and took a sip of my drink before wiping my mouth.

“Uh, sure.” I stood up and followed Joe as he walked around the tables and back towards the front. He held the front door open and I walked out, turning to look at him. “Joe?” He followed me outside and checked inside to make sure Kevin and Stella hadn’t followed before he looked at me.

“What are you doing Rayne?” His tone wasn’t hostile, but it easily could have been by the way Joe’s brows furrowed together.

“W-what are you talking about?” I asked. He hadn’t given me much to go on and explain. I crossed my arms over my chest, watching him as he took a step closer.

“With Kevin,” he replied. “I thought you liked Nick… but now you’re hanging out with Kevin and being all cute with him.”

I parted my lips and then closed them, arms falling to my side. He was going to do this now? I raised an arm and rubbed my temple. “He’s my best friend, Joe. I--“

“--I know he’s your best friend. But if you don’t like Kevin, then please don’t lead him on. He’s a good guy and he doesn’t need to get hurt.”

Suddenly anger flared within me. Joe had every right to say what he did. I knew that. “I know that he’s a good guy, Joe. And if you really think that I would hurt him then…” I trailed off, staring at him, jaw clenching, shrugging.

Joe tensed when I shrugged and he stepped forward, taking my face between his hands. “Look, I didn’t mean it that way,” he started off. It took everything in me not to pull away from his touch. “I just meant… You might not even realize you’re doing it, and I’m not saying that you are, but if this is something to get Nick’s attention, please don’t do it. I don’t want to see any of my brothers hurt. I mean, you’re a great girl, definitely, but…”

I looked up at him, inhaling sharply. Joe looked torn. Did he really think that I would pit Nick and Kevin against each other just for some attention? I frowned at him and placed my hands over his with a sigh. “…I’m not worth your brothers fighting over,” I finished for him. “I did… like Nick. I mean, I still might. I don’t know. We hardly ever see each other anymore and he’s been spending a lot of time with Jade. And that’s left a lot of free time for Kevin and I,” I told him. “I like Kevin. He’s sweet and he cares about me and I care about him.” I paused and Joe and I just stared at each other for a long moment. “But,” I finally said, “if it comes to the point where things get too complicated, I’ll step back.”