♪Battlefield♪;{JONAS The t.v show} Episode Twelve

Stella looked back between us all and the paper. Her lips were pressed tightly together, expression pained. My heart jolted into a pace that I was sure would give me a heartattack. My hold on Nick's hand weakened and he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. I gave Stella a small nod.

"Go ahead. You can say who got the part." I was surprised at how even my voice sounded. I was afraid it was going to betray me and give up how nervous I was. Stella ran a hand through her blonde curls and nodded in return. When she spoke, her voice was soft, unsure of whether to be excited or upset that only one of her friends got the part.

"It... Nick got the part." Everyone stood silent for a moment before Macy let out a small round of applause.

"Congratulations, Nick!" She exclaimed. She turned to me with a frown, and it was genuine. "I'm sorry you didn't get the part, Rayne. Really. I thought you were the best girl who auditioned for the part." She gave my arm a little tap. I gave a small smile and shrugged off whatever negative emotion I was feeling and turned to Nick with a bright smile. It faltered a bit at the frown he wore and it was my turn to give his hand the reassuring squeeze.

"Congrats!" I called out, dropping his hands to wrap my arms around his neck and pull him into a hug. He didn't object, wrapping his arms around my waist. He placed his cheek against mine and I could still feel his frown.

"Are you okay?" He whispered to me. I hummed out a 'yeah,' and pulled back, smile still plastered on my face. It gave him enough reassurance to smile back, and that's when everyone crowded around Nick to congratulate him. I glanced at the paper, not exactly wanting to know who had won the part of Tumbelina. Thankfully, the bell rang.

 But it only meant I had choir.

With Nick.

Well, crap.

I could manage another hour of keeping it all in. But it would be extremely hard with Nick around. I hadn't really planned on what my plan would be if I didn't get the part. Everyone had reassured me I would get the part. But it was my fault. No matter how sure I was about getting a role, I always mentally prepared myself for rejection. "Rayne?" I felt a tug at the sleeve of my shirt. I blinked and turned to see that only Nick and I were left. Had everyone already gone to class? "You okay?" He asked again, not seeming as convinced as before with my smile.

"I'm fine," I said. He held out his hand and looked down at it, now feeling a little hesitant about taking it. But if I had to be honest with myself, if I didn't take his hand, I might end up staying in the hallway, dazed, and get lost, mindlessly wandering off. I raised my hand and took his. His fingers wrapped around mine and he led me towards our class.

----------------------------------------

Choir was a blur and I couldn't tell you anything we learned in class. By the end of the day, I couldn't hold it in anymore. I didn't go to my locker because I knew everyone would be there, waiting. So instead, I went around and found myself in the girls locker room. The final bell had rang and a few girls who had gym last period were still getting dressed. I smiled kindly at them and made my way past the lockers and towards the stalls.

I stepped into the handicapped one and locked myself in. A small sob was caught in my throat and I had to place a hand over my mouth to keep it from making a loud sound. With a shaky sigh, I pressed my back against the wall and slid down, crying silently. I had to get it all out before I could face anyone. No one couldn't and wouldn't know that I had been crying. Being an actress meant keeping your composure, and it meant that keeping your emotions locked away was easy. At least, that's how it is with me. And I couldn't let people know I was upset.

Because the one thing I had always dreamed of being had slipped out of my grasp because I wasn't good enough.

--------------------------------

A/N:

I apologize for not updating in months. A lot of things have come up in life and I haven't really had much time to sit down and write. But I didn't want to leave you guys hanging. And I promise, the next chapter will be longer and filled with more than just Rayne crying. :) Thanks to my readers, new and old, for staying loyal and sending messages/comments.