10

"Michael Clifford."

It was Tom.

Tom was here. Tom was drunk. Tom was going to fight me.

I turned to Cooper who face was pale. "D-did I forget to mention that Tom wanted to fight you..t-tonight?" He muttered.

"Yeah, you forgot to mention a lot of things about tonight." I said, my teeth gritted. I could feel Tom getting closer and I knew he saw me because he had said my name minutes earlier. I still held Marcie's hand in mine and she looked at me confused. I wasn't sure if she remembered Tom from the night he almost took advantage of her. She looked at me with puzzled eyes, but I brushed it off, dropping her hand and standing from my seat. The room was practically slient, as if everyone, but me, knew this was going to happen.

I saw him getting closer, like everything was in slow motion, he walked through the crowd of people until he reached me. He had a smirk on his face that said exactly what he felt; complete douchebag anger. His fists were already clenched, his knuckles turning white in the process. I took one last look at Marcie, and for once, her face flashed fear, but I gave her a reassuring nod. It didn't do much, though.

"Michael." Tom stood before me, his chest in close proximity to mine. I cleared my throat before my eyes met his.

"Tom."

He licked his lips. "Are you ready to get your ass beat?" He chuckled.

"Are you?" I quickly spat out, my fist making contact with the left side of his head. He brought his hand up to the sore spot and rubbed it, regaining his balance faster than I expected. I heard gasps from around me, but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was beat Tom to a pulp, I needed to.

He chuckled, his laugh turning manical. He didn't seem phased by the punch I just threw at him at all. "That's all you got? How do I make you mad, Clifford?" He got up into my face and shouted. "How about your pretty little girlfriend?" He pointed to Marcie, whose eyes were wide. "You think she's only with you? News travels fast around here." He chuckled again.

"Fuck off, Tom." I pushed his chest and he stumbled back.

He shrugged. "I'm just saying. She's more of a fuck buddy, wouldn't you say? She was to every other guy I talked to. What makes you different? She still wants to kill herself."

That was when I lost it. My calm, cool attitude was no more as I pushed him to the ground and repeatedly punched him in the jaw, in the nose, everywhere on his face. I hated Tom, I truely hated him. His nose began to bleed and he yelped in pain, but I didn't care. A crowd accumulated around us, shouting was heard, but I didn't care. I only cared about Marcie, and the fact Tom talked about her in the way he did made me go insane. I've never acted this way, beating someone the way I was beating Tom. It was like I wasn't even there in a crowded room full of people shouting. My main focus was making sure Tom was severely injuried, and everything else was blocked out. My fist made continuous blows to Tom face, until I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders.

"Michael! Stop!"

I turned to see Marcie, her face distressed and her brow knitted. I breathed heavily, my hand still in a fist and turned back to Tom, who was practically unconcious below me. She pulled me up and I looked around to see a crowd full of surprised faces staring at me. I took one last look at Tom before I was lead out of the crowd by Marcie.

"Michael, what hap-" Cooper caught hold of my shoulder, but I brushed him off and stared straight forward.

The air outside felt good since I had been sweating because of my previous actions. I looked down at my shirt and there was some splatted blood on it, probably from Tom's nose. I was actually quite shocked, and proud of myself, but then I realized the realization of it. I looked down at Marcie, who had handed me my coat mintues before we were outside. It was still clutched in my blooded hand. She started ahead of her, not making eye contact with me. She pulled out a cigarette and stuck it between her fingers. Her other hand bought a lighter to it and it began to burn.