7

dedicated to rainingcliffords bc she writes amazing fics that you should read now 

check out my 8tracks account and listen to my playlists :D http://8tracks.com/shmooopy

anyways, enjoy :D

february

The sun peeked through the unshaded windows of my bedroom and I peered lightly at the sky. It was pink and blue all at the same time. My eyes switched to the clock on my bedside. 6:36 am. I groaned and turned to my back again, sighing. I got no sleep last night, considering it had still only been a few days that I was sleeping alone again in almost two weeks. The nights seemed to drift by slowly when Marcie was there.

She finally went home a few days ago after a threatening call was made by her mother to her. I found out a lot about Marcie while she stayed here. She was 17, and she wasn't exactly normal. She didn't go to school because she dropped out, and it wasn't like her mother cared enough to motivate her to go back. I thought it was hard to believe that she would drop out, because she was actually quite brilliant. I also found out she had a brother, whom sadly, wasn't all there. She told me he went through a lot of trauma while in the army a few years back, and ever since then, he was never the same. He was always nervous and too cautious, afraid almost. If I remember correctly, he was only 26. She lived in tragedy, it's all she ever knew, even from when she was younger. Her parents never had a good relationship. She said there was only a few times that she could count on her fingers that they got physical with eachother, but at the end of the day, she said they'd always love one another. I wonder if that's still true now, if that even exists now.

My blank stare was broken with the sound of buzzing. I was quickly on my feet in search of my cell phone. I rumaged through my jeans pockets before pulling it out, and read the caller ID. Mum.

"Hello, Mummy." My voice was groggy from my restless sleep.

"Hi, love." Her voice was sweet and I felt at home when she spoke. "How are things?"

I yawned and stretched, sitting back down on my bed. "Things are good, for the most part. Been staying out of trouble." I chuckled and I heard her sigh and laugh lightly on the other end of the line.

"That's what I like to hear." She called once a week, sometimes twice, and would ask me the same questions, and I'd always give her relatively similar answers.

"Have you seen any girls lately, Michael?" Well, that was new.

I chuckled again, but this time, a hint of nervousness lingered. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't any girls because there was a girl. There was Marcie, but we were just friends, right? Friends who spent the night together? Sounds legit enough for me.

I cleared my throat before speaking again. "N-no, no girls, Mum."

"Good, I can't have you being heartbroken." She laughed. I missed her so much, even though I had just seen her in December for Christmas. It still wasn't what it used to be. I guess growing up meant letting go of your comforts, and for me, she was the biggest one.

She went on to tell me how my 12 year old dog, Duke, was doing. She told me how old he's gotten, and how his legs didn't work the same way they used to. She told me how the field I'd play on as a kid was being built up into a new shopping center, she said a lot of things were changing in our neighborhood. I never knew leaving for six months would mean so much change. The things I used to know I no longer did, and it scared me a bit. I could feel myself really growing up now.

It was then my turn to talk so I told her how my job was going and how I still never had enough money to pay for the heat. She promised to send me more money in the next check. I told her how classes were, then moved on to my friends. I told her about Tom, and how recently my hatred towards him was growing. She tried laughing it off, but I knew she was concerned, even if I didn't mention the two times he beat me up in the past month. Our conversation was coming to a close, but I spoke up before it did.