4

She stumbled along the street and I held her, my arm still around her waist. I flew out of there like a rocket, afraid of Tom's reaction, and what people would think if I started to go crazy again. Then again, I could have always blamed it on the alcohol. She remained silent as we walked, until she muttered something.

"Thank you," She whispered. She was staring at the ground when her fingers fumbled with something in her pocket. It was a carton of cigarettes. She fingered the box open and pulled out a stick, slipping it between her lips and lighting it. The box was securely placed back into her pocket when she looked at me. I looked back, an expression of sincerity, almost saying 'don't worry about it' without actually speaking. She looked hurt, a small bruise forming on her neck from Tom's mouth. Her eyes were sunken in, tired looking, like she hadn't slept in days. Her lips curved around the cigarette as she pulled in and blew out the smoke. Her features we're still beautiful, and just as I remembered them from the previous night.

I cocked my head towards a small diner with a lit up open sign. She had no reply so I took it upon myself to bring her inside. I pulled the cigarette from her mouth and dropped it on the pavement. Her jaw hung open in surprise, and anger. I smirked at her as she blew the remainder of the smoke into my face. I coughed and she smirked back. We shuffled towards the small step before the door and I helped her up onto it. The warm air rushed directly to my pink cheeks and we were seated instantly. The waitress dropped two menus on the table and I helped her into the seat of the booth across from me. She slumped over the table, her elbows holding up her weight. She peered at me, and I stared back, pushing the second menu in her direction. My best bet was to make her eat and try and sober her up.

"Order something." I demanded, skimming the pages of my own menu. The time was roughly 1 am, and the diner was mostly empty. The only people there were people like us. Drunk.

She glared at me and opened the menu before finally speaking. "I'm not hungry." She sat back in the booth and crossed her arms over her chest.

I sighed when the waitress came back over holding a pencil and pad in her hand. She didn't say anything, she just stared at me and waited until I started talking.

"Uh, we'll both have the deluxe breakfast. Bacon, sausage, everything. And coffee." I blurted out. She nodded, looking bothered. When she finally left, I spoke.

"D-did he hurt you?" I asked, referring to Tom.

She lifted the sleeves of her oversized jacket, revealing small bruises in the shapes of fingertips trailing across her forearms. I gasped at the sight and gulped at a loss for words.

"I'm--"

"It's fine." She pulled the sleeves back down and sat back again.

"He's an asshole." I said quietly. She stuck a straw into the glass of water in front of her and stirred it around.

"I know."

"You know him?" I asked.

She nodded.

"..How?

"I met him, the night I met you, I think? Your name is Michael, right?" She searched the room like she was searching for answers but her eyes finally landed on me when she said my name. My cheeks blushed at the sound of it. I slowly nodded and she spoke again. "He tried to take advantage of me that night, too." She chuckled.

"I, um, hope you're okay."

"Me? What about you. He already gave you that black eye unintentionally. Imagine what he'll do now." She cocked her eyebrow and laughed.

I gulped again. "I, I--"

The waitress came over with two white mugs and a steaming pot of coffee. She left all three things at the edge of the table and motioned towards the milk at the other end. She left again, leaving us to make out own coffee. I offered to pour the liquid in her mug, but she said no. I poured it into my own and reached for the milk, pouring that in, too, making the beverage less hot. There was no sugar in the dispenser so I left it bitter. 

"Where are you from?" She asked, knowing I had an accent.

"Uh, Australia."

She nodded. "You accent is cute."

I blushed again and she smirked.

"I, um-" My sentence was quickly ended by the sight of two large plates coming towards our table. One was placed in front of me, and the other in front of her.

The waitress said nothing more and simply walked away again.

The plate was made up of two pancakes, two eggs, slices of toast, bacon, sausages and ham all neatly placed around the dish.

I went right in and ate almost half of it before she even touched hers.

"Please eat." I pleaded, a mouth full of pancake.

She giggled and picked up her fork. Although she didn't eat much, it was enough to ease her drunk empty stomach. I finished off my plate and even went on to eat some of hers.

"So, I'll take you home?" I asked. She didn't reply and just stared at the table. I dipped my head to meet her eyes. Once I did, they were gleaming blue and sparkling even in the distraught fluorescent lights. "Where do you live?" 

She shook her head. "Wherever I feel like it." She muttered, her eyes never left mine. My expression turned to guilt and I felt bad for what asked. It was stupid of me to feel bad, how else would I know she was homeless?

"I have a home. Just doesn't feel like one." 

"I'll take you there then?" I asked. She nodded, unsurely.

I nodded. "Alright, let's get out of here." I took out a twenty and a ten and laid it out on the table, picking up a glass to stick it under. Thirty dollars should cover it, and the waitress could keep the change. I didn't want any other interactions with her, anyways. I slid out of the booth and went around to grab her arm. She winced and I remembered the pain Tom inflicted on her earlier. I softened my grip and pulled her up. She was able to stand better and walk on her own now, but I still held onto her. 

The snow was falling again once we walked outside. She muttered the address of where she lived and it wasn't far from where we were. I started on my way, holding her behind me. 

"Snow is beautiful, right?" I tried to lighten the mood. 

"I wouldn't say beautiful. Have you ever busted ass on ice?" She chuckled, pulling away from my grip and walking ahead of me, making circles on the pavement as the snow lightly dropped from the sky. I watched her spin, her dress fluttering up and down and her skinny legs crossing in front of eachother. She walked in a straight line along the sidewalk and I caught up to her just as she lost her balance. 

"No, I haven't." I wrapped my arm around her waist again, making sure she was secure in my grip. "The first time I'd seen snow was Saturday night." 

Her head tilted slighty to the right, then left and she looked at me. "It doesn't snow in Australia?" 

I shook my head. "Not where I'm from." 

She sighed and leaned against me. "I end up falling at least once whenever it snows. I bruise my butt up every year." 

I laughed at her humor. "Come on, let's get you home." 

Her expression turned cold and she sighed again. She nodded and we walked further down the streets. After rounding countless corners and crossing multiple streets, we stood in front of an old walk up apartment. The windows looked old and the white paint was peeling away. The brick was cracked in different spots and the banister leading the steps was no longer existant. 

She peered up at the old building and huffed, making her way towards the steps. I stood and watched as she opened the unlocked wrought iron door. 

"Hey, wait." I said before she walked in. She turned back her head and waited for me to speak. "What's your name?" I asked.

"Marcie." She smiled and turned back, dissapearing into the apartment.

hey ya'lls if you're reading this story i love you a lot also message me because i'd love to know what you think of it :D thanks again bbys i love you ok bye