3

I felt accomplished as I sat in my art class waiting my potential doom. I wasn't sure what tonight would bring me. All I knew is that I had, I guess you could say, a date with Mollie, and nothing could bring me down from this temporary high.

I doodled on the sketchbook paper in front of me as my professor, Chad, lectured us about contored lines and why they were so important. I managed to block out what he was saying and got lost in my drawing. It started as a few lines, then eyes, now hair and plump lips formed. It was a unfamiliar but familiar face. I reached for the colored pencils beside me and filled in minimal color. Blue in the eyes and the lips, a light pink. She looked familiar but I couldn't pin point who I was drawing until it hit me. I only drew the things on my mind, and she was racing through. Not she, as in Mollie, but she as in the girl who I had slept next to only 48 hours before. I needed to shake myself of her.

It wasn't real, she was a figment of my imagination. I only dreamt it.

I settled it at that, for now.

I let my mind wander elsewhere, to where I thought it was before. To Mollie. I had a crush on her, I didn't know when I realized it, but I liked her. I liked her a lot. But this girl, this nameless girl couldn't leave my thoughts no matter what I did.

The ended lesson was a blur and when I stood to gather my things, the drawing I had been making had become a masterpiece. The colors flowed in and out of eachother, the pen markings hadn't smuged much, and she looked utterly beautiful. It was pretty sappy, but I had to give myself credit. Although I'd only seen her that one time, my memory created a spitting image of the girl.

My vision adjusted to the blaring sunlight as I exited the building. The fluorescents inside caused my head to ache slightly. I trudged through the left over, now black, snow along the streets. The tempurature had warmed in the 3 o'clock sun and I left my coat unbuttoned. My books were tucked beneath my arm and I stared at my feet as I walked. As I peered up, I saw her. She was shuffling along the pavement, weaving in and out of the small crowds of people along the small sidewalk of the side streets. My legs carried me to her, but she was gone once I got there. I blinked my eyes a few times to make sure I wasn't halluciating. I shook my head before starting on my way again. She's not real. 

I made my way to the less populated area of the city where my apartment was. The sun was slowly starting to set and the sky was turning from blue to a light pink against the horizon. I could have sworn I heard my name being called from above me somewhere. I peered up, covering my eyes from the remaining sun, and saw her, leaning over the edge of the barrier to a rooftop opposite of where I stood. I sprang into action and my feet moved quickly along the pavement. She looked like she was going to jump, the devil like grin on her face, like she wanted it. I panicked and screamed up at her.

"Stay there! O-or I'll stay here a-and catch you!" 

She shook her head, laughing maniacally. I stared down, taking in a gulp and looked back up at find her gone. My heart bumped in my chest as I awaited the sound of her body hitting the ground. The small amount of people around me didn't seem to be as frantic as I. I dropped my papers and covered my ears. I squeezed my eyes shut, afraid to open them again. I felt a soft tap on my shoulder, and slowly opened my eyes again, searching around me for her body. When I found a small old lady standing beside me instead, my heart settled and nerves calmed.

"Are you alright?" She asked, a concered look on her face, My hands had dropped to my sides and I bent down to gather my things.

"I-I'm fine. I just- you didn't see her?" My voice was shaky and I whiped my head around again to make sure she wasn't anywhere else in sight.