Journey's End - Chapter 40 - The Fellowship Reunited

Journey’s End

Chapter 40

The Fellowship Reunited

I drowsily blinked awake as the pale morning sun shone on my face. With a slight smile, I realised that I was back in my bed in the Houses of Healing, only this time I was wrapped in considerably more bandages. I sat up and realised that I was not alone. Aragorn sat in a chair at my bedside, holding my hand as he slept. The stab of raw emotion I felt as it looked at him surprised me, until I remembered that he had kissed me… It definitely hadn’t been a dream; I had the scars to prove it!

Did this mean that he also had feelings for me? It almost seemed too much to hope for, and with a sigh I remembered that we still couldn’t be together, even if he did return my feelings, because he was going to be King (if he wasn’t already, I had no idea how long I had slept for) and I was just perfectly average me…

To distract myself from these depressing thoughts, I began to pull at the various bandages that covered me with my free hand, so as not to disturb Aragorn, and tossing them to the foot of my bed. It was slightly awkward, considering that my free arm was in a sling, but I managed. I didn’t even remember receiving half the cuts and bruises I found, but most of them were healing well. My shoulder gave me little bother, although I did feel one or two twinges of pain, but it seemed alright.

I heard Aragorn yawn beside me and I turned to see him blink awake.

“Rana?” He murmured, staring at me. I smiled at him as he sat up.

“Good morning.” I mumbled. “How long have I been asleep?” He thought for a moment before replying.

“Two days.”

I nodded and looked towards the door as it creaked open.

“We heard voices, can we come in?” I smiled as Pippin poked his head around the door, closely followed by Merry.

“Of course.” I murmured as they dashed into the room as someone began yelling outside.

“For goodness sake! I turn my back for one minute and you two are disobeying-”

I didn’t hear the rest of Gimli’s rant as he entered the room as I was laughing so much. I hadn’t laughed in a long time, and it felt nice.

“I’m sure they aren’t doing any harm, Gimli.” Legolas said as he entered the room, he then looked at Aragorn. “Aragorn, Faramir is waiting to speak with you.”

My face fell as Aragorn nodded and stood, but I continued to cling to his hand.

“I’ll try to return quickly.” He murmured, gently brushing my fringe out of my face. I nodded and slowly released his hand as he walked out of the room. As soon as he was gone Merry and Pippin leapt at me.

“We wanted to come see you but-”

“Aragorn wouldn’t let us come in and-”

“He said you needed to rest-”

“Hold on!” I cried, as their voices merged into one continuous babble. They stopped talking and sat at the end of my bed. “What’s going on?”

“They became impatient waiting for you to wake.” Legolas smiled.

“Sorry…” I murmured, ducking my head, and then I remembered something. “Is Aragorn King yet?” I asked. Legolas shook his head.

“He refused to be crowned until you woke. He has barely left your bedside since you were brought here.”