Journey's End - Chapter 24 - The Eve of Battle

Journey’s End

Chapter 24

The Eve of Battle

As Théoden walked away from us, I gently laid a hand on Aragorn’s arm.

“You should rest.” I murmured. He was clearly exhausted; whatever had happened to him after he had fallen had drained his energy. He shook his head and walked on.

“For goodness sake!” I cried, dashing after him, “You look as if you’ve been dragged through Mordor backwards!” He turned to look at me, his eyes narrowing. “Please, at least let me dress your wounds.” I begged in a softer tone.

“There is no time.” He sighed.

We walked on, down towards where the women and children were being ushered into the caves. Legolas and Gimli followed us. Aragorn was scanning the walls above us.

“We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate.” He murmured, planning a strategy in his mind.

“Aragorn, you must rest. You're no use to us half-alive.” Legolas cried from behind us.

“I’ve already tried…” I muttered under my breath and scowling at my stubborn friend.

“My Lord! Aragorn!” I looked up to see Eówyn dashing towards us. “I'm to be sent with the women into the caves.” She complained.

“That is an honourable charge.” Aragorn comforted her.

“To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return? What renown is there in that?” She cried.

‘Well, if I survive this, I’m going to be pretty damn hungry…’ I thought, ‘I’d probably eat anything, as long as it’s not that stew…’

“My lady, a time may come for valour without renown. Who will your people look to in the last defence?” Aragorn asked her.

“Let me stand at your side.” She begged. I felt jealousy flare up inside me, but I pushed it down. I had no reason to be jealous of her… I think.

“It is not in my power to command it.” He murmured.

“You do not command the others to stay! They fight beside you because they would not be parted with you.” She looked up and her troubled eyes met mine, and I realised the truth in her words. “Because they love you.” She looked intently at Aragorn, and my suspicions about her feelings for him were confirmed. He stared back at her silently for a moment. “I'm sorry.” She said, walking past him quickly, and pushing her way past Legolas and myself. I turned to watch her leave as Aragorn walked on. At the entrance to the caves, an old man, laden with baggage fell. I rushed back to help him to his feet, taking his arm, and looked up to see Eówyn taking his other arm. He thanked us and continued into the caves. I turned to walk away, smiling weakly.

“Why does he let you stay and fight?”

Eówyn’s question made me turn and I sighed.

“Because,” I began, trying to find the right words. “Because it is all I have known really… I’ve always had to fight.” I mumbled.

“Surely he does not want you fight?” She asked. I shook my head.

“Of course not, but I don’t give him a choice, I’ll always find a way onto the battlefield… Somehow.” I smiled a little to myself. “Do not be so eager to run into battle. Have you ever fought in one?” She shook her head in response.

“I have not.” She sighed, regretfully.

“They are not the glorious events you are made to believe they are. They are terrifying.” I murmured. “When you see men you spoke to just moment ago fall dead by your side, and you know that you could be next. Do not rush into battle naively.”