Journey's End - Chapter 22 - A Dangerous Journey

Journey’s End

Chapter 22

A Dangerous Journey

That night, I said goodnight to Legolas and Gimli, and made my way towards where I would be spending the night, leaving the warm lights of the tents behind me. I saw the silhouette of Aragorn standing at the top of a small hill some distance away, smoking his pipe. I frowned and made my way over to him.

“Are you alright?” I asked when I was a short distance away. He made no movement and gave no answer, so I approached his side. “Aragorn?” I whispered, laying a hand on his arm. “Man carel le?” (What troubles you?)

“All my life, I have avoided what I must become.” He murmured. I sighed; we had hardly ever discussed the subject of Aragorn’s fate… It just seemed like something that he never wanted to talk about.

“I do not think that now is the time for you to look towards Gondor.” I thought out loud.

“But I do not know if I want the throne.” He sighed.

“You do not have to decide now. We have to win the war first, before any choices can be made. Focus on now.” I said softly.

“I am also worried about the present.” Aragorn murmured. “Théoden does not expect a battle. He thinks his people will be safe in the mountains, but I fear that Saruman is planning something.”

“That fear has been growing in my mind also.” I sighed. “He means to destroy the world of men, he will not be sending and unorganised random party of Orcs, and we have so few men that can fight.”

Aragorn laid a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“Gandalf will return, do not despair yet.”

“I’m not despairing. There is always hope.” I smiled weakly. “Besides, I made a promise to Boromir that I would not let the world of men fall. Rohan will not be defeated.” I whispered determinedly as I stared out at the dark night.

***

“Rana?”

At the sound of Aragorn’s voice, I turned and smiled. He approached me and took my face in his hands. I frowned in confusion as he moved closer to me.

“Aragorn, what are you-?” I was cut off mid-sentence as he gently pressed his lips against mine. My eyes widened in shock but to my surprise I found myself relaxing into the kiss. I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck just as he began to pull back. He moved his lips to my ear.

Le melon.” He whispered softly.

I sat bolt upright, breathless, and confused.

‘What the?! What kind of a dream was that?!’ I yelled inside my head, frantically running my hands through my tangled hair. ‘What brought that on?’ I wondered, trying to calm my heartbeat. ‘I shouldn’t be having dreams like that… Aragorn is my friend! It’s just wrong!’ I thought, over and over again, but one annoying thought kept pushing its way into my consciousness; ‘If it’s so wrong… Why did it feel so right?’

I pushed this thought as far away as I possibly could, blushing furiously, and looking around to see if anyone else was awake. The camp was silent; the sun had barely begun to rise. I cast a glance at Aragorn’s sleeping form beside me. I shouldn’t have looked at him, because every single detail of the dream came rushing back. I growled under my breath and stood, gathering my blankets in an angry rush. I was only angry at myself, because I was the only person responsible for the dreams I had… Even if I had no control over them. With a sigh, I threw my bedroll onto the rock we had been sleeping beside and began pacing up and down.