Journey's End - Chapter 11 - The Bridge of Khazad - Dum

Chapter 11

The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm

The Fellowship sprinted out of the chamber that held Balin’s Tomb and out into the great hall. Orcs came flooding out of the ground and pouring out of the ceiling, like an unstoppable liquid.

‘Keep running. Just keep running.’ I told myself, pushing away the pain of my head wound.

More Orcs came. They followed us and blocked the path ahead. Eventually, we had to stop. I found myself pressed against Aragorn as they pushed us into a tight circle. I fearfully looked around into the faces of our pursuers. Cruel eyes met mine and they hissed and laughed at my fear.

My hand found Aragorn’s beside me and I held it tightly, he also gripped my hand. I swallowed hard and allowed my other hand to reach for the hilt of my sword.

‘I’m not going down without a fight…’

I jumped at the sound of a roar in the distance. The orcs looked at each other, and I was surprised to see that they appeared to be terrified. They scattered, fleeing back to their holes. Within seconds, we were alone. I looked up the hallway; there was a light there, like someone had lit a massive fire.

“What is this new devilry?” Boromir questioned. Gandalf was silent for a moment.

“A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.” He hissed, “This foe is beyond any of you. Run!” Gandalf cried and we fled after him away from the light. My hand slipped out of Aragorn’s as we ran. I followed as quickly as I could, not wanting to overtake the Hobbits. Boromir took the lead as we rushed down a flight of steps. I slipped, and would have fallen if Aragorn had not grabbed me from behind; I kept running, but stopped abruptly as I saw Boromir teeter perilously at the edge of the path. We had reached another set of stairs. All around us was illuminated with the light of a fire, yet I could see none. Legolas pulled Boromir back from the edge and behind me I heard Aragorn speak.

“Gandalf.” He said, turning to the wizard.

“Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near. Do as I say! Swords are no more use here!” He cried. We ran down the staircase, it seemed endless until we reached a large gap that plummeted downwards into nothingness. I was vaguely aware of arrows raining down amongst us, but none of them struck anyone. Legolas jumped across the gap easily, and then turned.

“Gandalf!” he called, beckoning. Gandalf jumped after him with effort.

“Merry! Pippin!” Boromir shouted; grabbing the two Hobbits and leaping across the gap with a grunt as the edge crumbled.

“Sam!” Cried Aragorn as he lifted the Hobbit and threw him after Boromir. He then turned to Gimli, who held up his hand.

“Nobody tosses a dwarf!” He huffed, before leaping. My heart jumped into my throat as I saw that he wasn’t going to make it, but I relaxed when Legolas lurched forward and grabbed his beard. “Not the beard!” Yelled Gimli as Legolas pulled him to safety.

Aragorn nodded to me, indicating that I was next. I took a step back and then prepared to launch myself into the air, I ran the few steps to the edge just as more of the steps crumbled away making the gap impossible to jump.

“Rana wait!” Cried Aragorn, but it was too late, I had to jump, or fall. I flew through the air and started to drop just before the edge. I reached out and grabbed the rock with my fingertips. Groaning, I began the haul myself upwards. Behind me I heard a crash. Part of the ceiling had collapsed, leaving the stairs that Aragorn and Frodo stood on unattached to anything. The stone began to tilt backwards, and I knew it would fall towards me soon. My hands frantically scrambled, trying to pull myself upwards before I was crushed.

“Rana!”

I looked up to see Legolas and Boromir standing over me. They grabbed my arms and hauled me to safety.

“Thank you.” I gasped, realising how terrified I had been. I turned to see Aragorn and Frodo hurtling towards us.

“Come on!” Yelled Boromir as they rejoined the group. We immediately started running again, just as the great section of stair fell into the abyss below.

“Over the bridge! Fly!” Cried Gandalf as we ran past him. I dashed across the impossibly narrow bridge behind Aragorn.

“You cannot pass.” I heard Gandalf say somewhere behind us as Aragorn lead us towards a flight of stairs that lead upwards.

“Gandalf!” Yelled Frodo.

I looked up to see a towering creature of fire and darkness standing over the bridge where Gandalf stood. Flame flickered across its massive body as it looked at Gandalf.

“I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Arnor! Dark fire shall not avail you, Flame of Udûn!” Gandalf cried, staff and sword in hand. The Balrog drew it’s own flaming sword and brought it crashing down on top of Gandalf, who parried the blow.

“Go back to the shadow!” He hissed at the creature, “You... Shall not... Pass!” He screamed, slamming his staff into the bridge. There was a blinding flash of white light, and then I saw the demon draw a whip of flame, and then step towards Gandalf. The bridge gave way below its feet, and it tumbled into the chasm below. Gandalf turned away, but as he did so, the whip of the Balrog lashed up and caught him by the ankle, dragging him down. For a brief moment, he caught the edge of the bridge.

“Gandalf!” I screamed, lurching forward, but Aragorn caught me and pulled me back as I thrashed against him.

“No! No!” Cried Boromir.

“Gandalf!” Frodo yelled beside me as he was restrained by Boromir.

“Fly you fools!” Gandalf whispered. Then he let go of the edge, and fell into the abyss.

“No!” Screamed Frodo, but it sounded dim and far away to me. I weakly struggled against Aragorn as he held me tightly against his chest. I felt tears gathering in my eyes as I looked up at him. He stood silently staring at the place where Gandalf had fallen. More arrows began falling in front of me, breaking Aragorn’s trance and forcing him to pull me back and follow the others.

One by one, we escaped into the sunlight outside the mines. My legs could no longer hold me up, and I collapsed with grief. I fell to my knees and buried my head in my hands, trying to stop the tears the threatened to run down my face.

‘Don’t cry. Don’t cry. Don’t cry…’ I repeated to myself over and over as my body shook with silent sobs.

“Legolas, get them up.” Called Aragorn.

“Give them a moment, for pity's sake!” Boromir yelled at him.

“By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs. We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up!” Aragorn replied. The tears had stopped, so I dropped my hands from my face and wrapped my arms around my body. I felt Aragorn’s hand on my shoulder. 

“Rana?” He whispered, crouching by my side. I could hardly bring myself to look at him; I knew I’d only cry again. “Rana, I need you to help me. Please.” He begged me. I nodded and allowed him to pull me to my feet. He patted my shoulder before walking away. “On your feet, Sam.” He murmured, helping the Hobbit up. “Frodo?” He called. Frodo turned back to the broken Fellowship, with tears streaking his cheeks.

I ducked my head and silently followed Aragorn away from the mines.