Journey's End - Chapter 5 - The Council of Elrond

Chapter 5

The Council of Elrond

I heard voices up ahead in the area where the council was to be held, so I quickened my pace, not wanting to be the last person there. I had hoped to arrive with Aragorn and be able to sit beside him, but I had slept late and he had already left when I called on him. Hurriedly, I cast the hood of my cloak over my head before I arrived at the circle of chairs. Most of them were filled, but I found one between the Elves and the Dwarves. ‘Fantastic, stuck between two rival races.’ I grumbled inwardly as I sat down. I noticed Aragorn sitting roughly opposite me. I could see his eyes searching for mine under the shadow of my hood, so I tilted my head slightly and smiled. He would probably be the only person in the circle who was sure of my identity, apart from Lord Elrond. This was my intention. I preferred to remain hidden until the opportune moment to reveal myself. Until then, I would just stay quiet.

Slowly, the last few seats filled and I looked around, observing the people who sat around me. There was Frodo to my right– the only hobbit, but a rustle in the nearby bushes told me that the others probably weren’t far off – Gandalf, Legolas (who was surrounded by several other Elves). And to my left the Dwarves –none of which I recognised, Boromir – along with a few other men, Aragorn, and then Lord Elrond. 

In front of Elrond there was a tall, stone table. All around me people where muttering under their breath in various languages. Sometimes they would cast a glance at Frodo, other sat in silence, observing others, like myself. Suddenly Lord Elrond stood and silence fell.

“Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You've been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom.” His eyes scanned the circle, analysing each person who sat there. When he reached me, he frowned slightly at my hidden face, and then moved on. He then looked to Frodo.

“Bring forth the ring, Frodo.” He commanded.

The hobbit stood, with the Ring sitting in the palm of his hand. The second my eyes fell on it I felt an instant pain in my mind. Like my skull was being put under a great pressure, which gradually increased second by second. I watched as Frodo set the Ring on the stone table, and it looked like a great weight had been removed from his shoulders. People around me had started whispering again, so I shut my eyes, blocking the pain. I heard Boromir whisper ‘So it’s true’, but I didn’t look up.

“In a dream I saw the eastern sky grow dark but in the west a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: ‘Your doom is near at hand. Isildur's Bane is found.’” Boromir continued. I opened my eyes to see him reaching towards the Ring. I felt a lump form in my throat. It was already taking a hold of him… “Isildur’s Bane…” He murmured.

“Boromir!” Elrond snapped, seeming to break his trance. Suddenly, Gandalf began to chant in a menacing voice.

Ash Nazg Durbatuluk! Ash Nazg Gimbatul! Ash Nazg Gimbatul! Ash Nazg Gimbatul!”

The words were harsh and malicious, and they only seemed to make the pain in my head grow worse. I shut my eyes tightly, driving away the pain as the sound of the words faded.

“Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris.” Elrond spoke, sounding furious at Gandalf.

“I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West! The Ring is altogether evil.” Gandalf responded, as peace seemed to return to the circle. I couldn’t agree more. I had never felt evil so strong…