First//Luke Hemmings

I giggled as I entered school for the first time since last June. I turned to my best friend Heather, making a funny face at her to try and get her attention.

“Zoey, oh my god you look like a legitimate gremlin,” she laughed, tossing her brown hair over her shoulder.

“When don’t I,” I replied, laughing along with her.

As soon as we got over our little laughing fit, my other best friend Jack skipped up to us, his long limbs flailing as he did so.

“Happy first day of senior year guys!” he yelled, wrapping his weirdly long arms around both of us.

“Ugh don’t remind me,” I said.

I wasn’t looking forward to this year, none of my friends were in my classes and I had no idea what I wanted to do after graduation. Decision making had never really been my strong suit.

We continued to chat until the bell rang, signaling the official end of summer and the beginning of the hell that is school. I waved goodbye to my friends as I weaved my way through the maze of hallways, until I reached room 311, my first class of the day.

I stepped inside of the room, looking around to try and see someone I might know. There was no one. I sighed as I sat down in the closest empty seat, setting my backpack on the ground beside me.

As the bell went off, our teacher cleared his throat as he announced to the class “Good morning everyone, my name is Mr. Davies and welcome to physics.”

As he wrote down our class syllabus on the board, I pulled out my phone, desperate to text Heather about my horror story that is this class.

“You shouldn’t be on your phone while the teacher is talking,” someone whispered to me.

I snapped my head up, looking straight into two blue eyes.

“What I do on my phone is really none of your concern,” I snapped, irritated that some person I’d never met felt the need to judge me.

“Come on Zoey just put it away,” he said, frantically looking around the room hoping no one heard him talking.

“I-I’m sorry, how do you know me name exactly,” I stammered, a little creeped out that this guy knew who I was.

“Jesus Zoey, I’m Luke. Luke Hemmings? We’ve had art together since freshmen year?” the blue-eyed boy said, looking into my eyes, searching for any recognition.

I recognized the name; I had just never put it to a face. I studied him, trying to see if I remembered him at all. His blonde hair stuck up in all directions, and he had to be at least six feet tall. I have no idea how I missed this guy.

“Right Luke, sorry I just go off in my own little world sometimes,” I said, trying to cover my ass from this embarrassing situation.

“I’ll say,” he murmured, turning away from me and back to the front of the class.

Insulted, I shoved my phone back into my bag, slumping in my chair and attempting to focus. Every couple of minutes I would sneak a glimpse at him, and every time I did he was frantically scribbling notes in his notebook. Every so often, when he was writing really fast, he would bite down on his lower lip, and furrow his eyebrows in concentration. It was kind of adorable in a cute puppy kind of way, yet he didn’t seem as fun as a puppy. I had never seen someone so focused on taking notes in my entire life, it was a little concerning to be honest. Finally after a never ending 60 minutes, class was over. I quickly zipped up my bag, slinging it over my shoulder.

“Goodbye Lucas Hemmings,” I said, making a point to say his full name.

I was then greeted by an icy stare, his blue eyes piercing me. 

“Its actually just Luke, not Lucas. But you have a good day Zoey Banks,” he said as he smiled at me with a condescending look.

I huffed as I left the classroom, leaving the blonde boy alone, smiling to himself.

a.n///

hey guys, i dedicated this to fivesaucewhoop because all of her stories inspired me to write my own. check hers out, they're all flawless