Chapter nineteen

Yay, new chapter!

Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyle's P. O. V

I still ended up having to go to school.

I sat in the passenger seat of Zack's car as he drove us to school, even though I could have taken my own, but Zack thought it would be better if I didn't, at that point I just didn't care so I agreed, frowning in annoyance as I stared out the window. The air was filled with awkward silence that was beginning to suffocate me, and I swear if something didn't break this uncomfortable silence soon then I was going to go crazy.

I glanced over to Zack from the corner of my eye and studied him. His face was drawn tight, eyes unreadable. He sat stiffly, hands clenched around the steering wheel until his knuckles whitened and I quickly turned my eyes away before he caught me looking.

Ever since the unexpected kiss we shared he hasn't spoken much to me, hardly more than a few words, nor has he even looked in my direction. The only time he acknowledged my existence was when he stiffly informed me that we were going to head to the school in ten minutes and I had to scramble to get ready on time, afraid that he might leave without me.

And I wish he would talk to me. I had no idea what he was thinking and trying ti read his emotions was like reading off a blank page, I couldn't get anything out of him. I kept making all these assumptions that he regretted kissing me and hated me. Or that it had been all a mistake. But what I was most afraid of was him pushing me away and things going back to how it did before.

I didn't want that.

Not at all.

I breathed out in relief when Zack reached out and turned on the radio, and relaxed slightly. Soon the school was in sight and the minute the car was parked I jumped out and headed for the school, in a hurry to escape any further awkwardness between us.

I could feel his eyes boring into the back of my head as I walked but I kept my eyes forward and did not dare look back at him for fear of throwing myself down at his feet and apologizing, insisting that he just forget that ever happened if it would only make things right between us.

I pushed open the school doors and breathed out in relief once they closed behind me and I no longer felt his eyes on me. I glanced around at the loitering students before going to find my locker.

As I placed a few things in my locker I heard a familiar voice scream out my name and wince, turning to face a very angry looking brown haired girl. "Mia," I greeted a bit guiltily.

I had forgotten all about Mia due to all that's happened in the past couple of days and man did I feel like a horrible friend right now.

"Where have you been the past couple of days, do you know how worried I was!" She yelled, attracting the students who were walking past's attention and they gave us curious looks but otherwise walked on. "I called your house, but nobody would pick up. I even went over there just in case you were sick or something but no one was there. I was so worried, I thought something had happened to you and almost went to the police." I cringed when she said that.

"I know, and I'm super sorry Mia, it's just that I've had a lot going on lately," I pleaded for her to understand. "I should have called you to tell you that I was alright, but I forgot. I won't ever do that again."

"You promise?" She sniffed.

"Yes, yes, I promise," I hurriedly agreed before she made even a bigger scene then she was doing now.