Vamanight High

2012 Copyright © All Rights Reserved Vamanight High by Winnie Ong J. Y

Author's note: comments and advice are appreciated, any editors are welcome to contact me through twitter. Be a fan if you like or I might stop writing. Hehe...Thanks:)

"Oh my God! Have you heard the news?" Gwen murmured to her gang. "She's getting adopted!" Alice knew who the "she" they were referring to. That's her. They never said Alice's name out loud. They never had the guts to do so. "Who would adopt her? She's so mean!" the youngest one in Gwen's gang voiced out.

Mean? Alice scowled. Sure, she does hit people when she was angry. But it was this place that made her who she were.

When Alice was first brought into the orphanage, she was bullied by everyone. Every corner she went, there were backstabbers and people far more Meaner than she were. It was this place that taught her to be rough, to be tough, to fight and defend herself and most of all, to put on a false front. A facade.

Yet Gwen's shock matched hers as well. Why would anyone want to adopt her?

Alice stuffed some jeans and shirt into her duffel bag and went to meet that person who have adopted her. Alice still couldn't figure out why any family would have adopted her. Normally families would have gone for some orphan that were younger so they could nurture them slowly. Alice had already pass the age of nurturing. In fact, she was way pass the age for nurturing. Who in the world would want to have her in their family?

That left her a big question mark, but she is not complaining. In fact,she cannot wait to get the hell out of here. This place have been like a dungeon to her for the past 16 years, holding her hostage from the outside world. She had never gone outside of the orphanage nor had she ever been to a real school. This could be her only chance. And Alice is making sure that she will not screw it.

"Stop!" the orphanage assistant shouted at Alice. She halted, faking a smile at the monster. She could feel her eyes burning with intense hatred towards her but like always, she blinked it back and hid it beneath her facade.

It was a normal day at the orphanage, everyone was minding their own business as usual. Three 8 years old boys decided to pick up a 5 years old girl that day to bully with. They started their normal daily malicious teasing, smacking and pinching her, knowing all too well that she could not retaliate back.

One of them came up with a nasty idea and started pulling her hair and smacking her bottom. Everyone inside the room kept quiet and nobody came to help. So she screamed for the only person she thought that could save her from her awful experience.

The monster came into the room after hearing her name being shouted. Glancing around angrily, the monster found her, sitting in the middle of the room with bruises and almost dried up tears. The girl naively thought that she would comfort her and punish those boys who did such things to her. So she looked up at the monster's face smiling sweetly and hopefully. But the monster just picked her up and slapped her hard across her face.

Tears started falling again as her face swells red. The monster spat "Don't ever ask me for help, you pathetic wimp. Fight your own fight! I don't have time for this stupid thing! Do you understand?!" The girl nodded, painfully aware of the stares around her and the smirks on the three boys faces.

Alice will always, always remember those words and that stinging pain on her face. It was her lesson and she will never forget that. She will never ever forget the monster that left her bruised and hurt inside out. Leaving that indelible mark in her forever.

"You are not wearing those filthy clothes to meet the adopter. He is the only client that wants to help us to get rid of you and I am not letting him slip away because of those" The monster said, eyeing Alice black shirt and jeans in obvious disdain. That brought Alice back from her daze. She knew she have to listen to her on this one. Alice have no idea what type of clothing would impress her adopter.

"What do you supposed I wear then?" Alice asked with a sweet voice, hiding her anger and hatred towards the monster assistant like she always does.

"This," the monster grinned, pulling out a white dress from behind. The shock in Alice face only made the monster's grin widen.

In a matter of second, Alice was wearing a white lace dress and a pair of flats. Her duffel bag was thrown away and replaced by a leather handbag. It was beautiful, even Alice thought she looked truly beautiful with this outfit. Yet, it looked fake as well. She looked fake.

"Now Alice, you may proceed." the Monster said lovingly. Alice plastered a smile and walked away obediently, hiding her grimace and headed towards the door, towards her possible freedom.

Outside the door stood a man. He was dressed in black from head to toe. It did not matter to Alice though, cause his face was what she noticed first among others.

He is beautiful and flawless. His blond hair sparkles under the light and his deep blue eyes reminded Alice of the sea that she had seen from photographs. His skin, so pure, so white like those that have never been kissed by the sun at all.

"Alice." He greeted her. His voice was like a melody, so seducing that Alice felt like falling into his arms and never wake up. STOP! she screamed at herself mentally. This man might be dangerous. For someone with such an ability and beauty, it is best to be careful Alice thought. She approached the man cautiously but, smiling at the same time not wanting to let her chance of freedom slip. "Yes I'm Alice, and you are?"

"Jeronimo," he smiled, with his dimples showing. "I see, you are cautious of me. That's good, you have your mother's quality." That, stopped Alice from her track.

My mother? It all sound strange to Alice. Foreign even. Alice frowned.

Jeronimo took a few step towards her and muttered sadly, "I'm sorry you never had the chance to meet them. They are a wonderful pair." Alice shook her head trying to clear the sudden acknowledgement of her parents having any kin or a kith. She focused on Jeronimo instead and asked "How do you know about my parents when I didn't even know about them? And why did you come forward only until now?"

Alice could hear her voice breaking. If Jeronimo knew her parents, he should have adopted her long ago and she would not have suffered so much pain inside the orphanage. She would have seen the world  with her own eyes instead of photographs from the net. She could have so much more....

Jeronimo looked at her with guilt in his eyes. "We thought you died that night together with your parents. We didn't think much about it since there were three bodies."

Alice laughed. What an explanation. Like that would make things up to her. "So are you adopting me to make up for the mistakes you've made?" Alice asked coldly. He nodded, without meeting her eyes.

She took a few deep breaths and sighed. Alice knew that this probably wasn't Jeronimo's fault. Like hell it was. She was just venting out all her anger towards him cause he knew her parents. He is kind enough to adopt you, don't scare him away or make him angry! Alice scolded to herself.

Right now, she need to leave first, all questions will have to wait. She thought.

"I've signed all the papers. So now I'm officially your guardian. We have to leave now." Jeronimo said, breaking the silence. Alice looked up at him and nodded.

With his last word, Alice looked at the orphanage behind her for this one last time and smirked. Yes, she is never coming back to this place again. She will make sure of it. Turning away from that horrific place, Alice followed Jeronimo into his sleek black car and slide into the comfortable seat.

Her freedom awaiting...