- Common Revolvers -

[MP-412 REX ]

Caliber]

.357 Magnum

Mechanism]

Double Action, Break Action

Length]

7 in.

Description]

The MP-412 REX is a rare revolver, developed by Makarov PM, the inventor of the Makarov pistol. The REX stands for "Revolver for EXport". The MP-412 REX features a break action reload, meaning the barrel and rotating chamber are sort as a "one unit" and can "break" from the handle. Meaning the barrel and chamber as one swing downwards at a 90 degree angle, allowing for quick dumping of casings and reloads. Firing the heavy .357 Magnum round, a very powerful medium round designed for medium game hunting such as deer, the MP-412 chambers up to six rounds.

Some known variants feature an automatic ejector, and is fairly recent in featuring one.

[.44 Anaconda]

Caliber]

.44 Magnum

Mechanism]

Single Action

Length]

11.83 in.

Description]

The first mass production heavy caliber revolver in the civilian market, the Colt Anaconda was marketed for the police market and for the big game market as a competitor to other currently marketed .44 Magnum revolvers. 

The .44 Magnum by itself is a heavy round, and by itself, is used more popularly in hunting rifles rather than revolvers. Known mostly for hunting big game such as elk, there have been reports in the early years of hunting that .44 Magnum successfully has been used against grown adult elephants. 

The Anaconda is known for it's interesting barrel groove and slit design along the barrel, allowing the user to attach many accessories, such as laser pointers, sights for aiming, and low power scopes for hunting at distances. 

While the Anaconda itself has been discontinued, some stores still sell variants of the .44 Magnum due to it's popularity. Many featuring a steel or hardened polymer handle, replacing the classic wood, and modernizing parts. 

[Smith & Wesson Model 29]

Caliber]

.44 Magnum

Mechanism]

Single Action

Length]

10 in.

Description]

The main competitor to the Anaconda, the .44 Magnum features a more "classic" revolver design, with an elongated barrel, longer than most common revolvers. The Model 29 is also known famously as the "Dirty Harry" revolver, from the movie of the same namesake, and also made the Model 29 extremely popular, popular enough that S&W struggled with keeping the Model 29 in stock.

The modernized variation of the Model 29 is known as the Model 629, the "6" denoting it being a stainless steel body and barrel variant.

[OTs-38 Stechkin Silent Revolver]

Caliber]

7.62 x 41.5mm "SP-4" 

Mechanism]

Single Action

Length]

7.51 in.

Description]

One of the last designs of Stechkin, the OTs-38 is one of the more unusual revovlers developed specifically for clandestine services for Russia and former Soviet union. The OTs-38 features a unique bullet built specifically for the OTs-38, designed to maximize velocity and impact, to counterbalance the effect the internal suppressor/silencer built into the barel of the OTs-38.

The OTs-38 is also known uniquely for it's reload. Because the bullet is rimless at the base, the bullets must be fed by full moon clips. The revolver also features a "swing arm" chamber, where the arm swings out about 30 degrees to the right horizontally for reloading the chamber, and is swung back to lock the chamber back in place. 

The bullet itself is unique in that it produces no flash or a bang when fired. This is because all contents of the bullet, including the bullet itself, is inside a uniquely designed casing to trap all the gases and sound upon firing.

The OTs-38 also features an option for an underbarrel laser for accurate aiming, and is also featured in it's larger variant, the OTs-40.

[Smith & Wesson Model 500]

Caliber]

.500 S&W

Mechanism]

Double Action

Length]

10.5 in.

Description]

one of the largest commercial revolvers in the market, dwarfing the Desert Eagle in firepower, the Model 500 revolver chambers the massive .500 S&W round. Large enough that the Model 500 can only chamber 5 rounds at a time. Designed for large game hunting such as elk, deer, and any large thick skinned game. The Model 500, due to the round it chambers, also features a uniquely grooved barrel and muzzle to compensate for the heavy recoil firing the .500 S&W. Many recent models of the Model 500 feature a rubber grip, a full muzzle brake/recoil compensator, and forward balance weight due to the sheer weight of the body. 

The .500 S&W by itself is known for it's stopping power, as well as the distance and velocity of the round, being able to hit a target 200 yards away, a feat only held by only a few other handguns. 

A variation of the Model 500 is the Model 460 revolver. Built around the same frame as the Model 500, the "X" frame, it chambers the .460 magnum, a bullet similar to the .45 ACP. The full name is the XVR or (eXtreme Velocity Revolver). 

[.9mm Chinese revolver NP-216 Revolver]

Caliber]

9 x 19mm Parabellum

Mechanism]

Double Action

Length]

7.5 in.

Description]

The .9mm Chinese revolver, developed by the Chinese company Norinco, is the standard issue police revolver, and is currently being phased out by the QSZ-92 pistol. A small compact handgun, the NP-216 is also known to be easily modified to chamber multiple types of rounds, with little need for tools to change the caliber.

Although being phased out for the QSZ-92, the NP-216  still is popular with local police forces and local paramilitary until the entire phasing out is completed for the MP-216.