- Common Pistols -

[Glock]

Caliber]

Various. Popularly, 9x19mm

Mechanism]

DA / SA

Length]

7 - 8 inches

Description]

Invented in 1979 by Gaston Glock in Austria. Gaston Glock, with no previous firearms knowledge, designed the pistol with sound theory and concept, using skills he gained from his current job as a watch maker and repairman. With work in plastics, he designed his first model, the Glock 17, with, at the time, a very new concept for handguns, the Double Action/ Single Action style, with a polymer body and metal frame. The glock's durability and ease of learning made it an almost instant success, coupled with the fact the design components and craftsmanship created a pistol that was cheap, and Glock could always be competitive with other companies. One of Glock's signature notes that has to be recognized is the fact that glock handguns feature a trigger safety, meaning instead of a conventional safety on the side of the handgun, which is often flipped like a switch, the trigger only needs to be depressed slightly to engage the safety to turn off, allowing for quick reaction shooting. 

Today, many military forces and some police forces still utilize the glock series, but many have phased out from the current 9x19mm parabellum round, due to the fast velocity of the round can cause over penetration of the target, and little wounding capability by itself. Many users currently use the larger 45. ACP round, with more increased "knock down" power. A few agencies also have used the .40 S&W round variant, found to be as well as a .45 round.

Glocks ease of use has made it popular also all around, and with a low competitive price ($500-$600), easy access.

The choice of using Full Automatic also allows Glock the capability to put bullets downrange in fast bursts, and can be used as a substitute in close quarters combat, when your submachine gun or compact rifle runs low on ammunition. The fact that it chambers a 9mm also allows the possibility of ammo sharing with the popular MP5, and some variants of the UMP.

[Colt M1911]

Caliber]

.45 ACP

Mechansim]

Single Action

Length]

8.25 inches

Description]

After the advent of the Philippine-American War in 1902, many soldiers complained of the lower stopping power their current .38 relovers and 9mm pistols gave them, especially during many rushes and charges the rebels at the time commonly did in ambushes. Those who were issued the .45 ACP round praised their stopping power, especially for tribesmen who often used narcotics or other drugs to dull pain before attacks. Upon hearing this, General Crozier ordered a new pistol to be designed with this round. The winner of a competition in creating this new pistol was John Browning, and his pistol was issued in 1911, hence the name (M1911 / Pistol, Model 1911). The M1911 has since endured service, with a record of over 100 years. An almost perfect design and showing of smart, conservaitve and reliable thinking, the M1911 has proven itself to be able to withstand time, with few modifications of asthetics and other. The M1911 was phased outafter the gulf war, replaced by the Beretta M9. This change has caused many upsets and criticisms in the miltiary because of the Beretta M9's low power with the 9mm. Many officers still decide to use the M1911.