Chapter 6

(Disclaimer:I do not own Criminal minds or the characters from criminal minds)

Please RR, much appreciated!

Thank you for all the reviews! I too have seen several shows where the cat eats their owner! ;)

(and you may have noticed I changed the narrative/POV now, I wanted the team to be more united than separate)

Hotch's face suddenly went pale. As did JJ's. Morgan stood thinking for a minute remembering that name. Trying to put his finger on how it ended. Garcia, like the rest of the team were still looking bewildered.

"Can someone tell us, who Phillip Dowd is" Rossi demanded.

"He was a long distance serial killer. He had paranoid personality disorder and a hero complex. He'd shoot his victims in the stomach, a typically non-fatal wound, in the hope of saving them later. It made him feel superior." Reid explained.

"And how would he save them exactly?" Emily puzzled, raising her eyebrows at Reid.

Morgan piped up then, realization suddenly hitting him. "He worked as a nurse at the local hospital. He'd previously been a police officer and before that he'd been in the army but he was fired from both. His nursing career allowed him to care for the patients after the shootings."

Reid nodded. "He lost those jobs due to his arrogance, narcissistic and sociopath behaviour and his lack of self control. He wouldn't have been a nurse for much longer, that's for sure."

"How the hell did you know it was him this time around?" Rossi gasped in disbelief. He always forgot how impressive Reid's memory was.

"It had to be around 3 that he shot the victims. Phillip Dowd would shoot his victims between the times of 2.55 and 3.15 which were during 1st and 2nd shift change, the same shift changes he had as a nurse. But, Rossi, it's not him."

"Wait, what?" marveled Emily, with an exasperated look in her narrowed eyes. Rossi turned to face Reid in confusion.

"How'd you know that?" Questioned a frustrated Rossi.

"B..because..I..uh"

Hotch helped out his youngest agent, sensing the guilt and discomfort in the young mans voice."Reid and I were in a hostage situation with several members of the public. I managed to get my gun to Reid, and he shot Dowd in the head. He's dead. It can't be him."

Garcia began to nod in recognition. "I..I remember now" she whispered.

"But then... who's that?" Blake looked over her teams faces, full of concern and confusion. No one could answer her.

JJ spoke up "We never actually looked into Dowd's family history. I guess it could be a cousin or a sibling, hes around 25, so he's too young to be anything else. But I don't recall any immediate family, no one came to identify his body."

"If they are family why don't they have the same surnames?" Emily said trying to get past the clouding confusion in her head.

"We can't trust the information he's given up, Em. For all we know he's been lying through his teeth since we got here" sighed Morgan.

Reid was shivering and not from the cold, breathing deeply.

"Reid. You did what you had to. It was justified. I would've done it as soon as he smacked you with his gun, but I wasn't fast enough." Hotch sighed and lay his hand on Reid's shoulder, completely forgetting it was dislocated.