The Other Shoe

The Other Shoe
Lunch started promptly at 2 in the afternoon. Everyone had managed to make it in a seat well dressed and on time.
Landry and Carnell had escorted Audrey down. After Carnell's private apology to Audrey, of course. She accepted and hoped for more details in his simple and sincere acknowledgement but he dismissed informing her of things that weren't in his possession to share.
She knew that, but without talking to Kelly all day her curiosity was becoming deadly.
Kelly had escorted his mother to the lunch seeing as their conversation ran over in time.
Audrey and Kelly sat right next to each other just as they had the night before but just like the rest of the table's guest they were silent.
Somewhere in the mist of the awkward yard luncheon there was finally a bit of relief. Alex walked with precision toward Mother and whispered to her.
"Well if you would excuse me, I have a phone call."
With Mother no longer among them the silence and tension slightly disappeared.
"Who knows mom's here," came Carnell's intrigue.
"No one should actually," Dustin responded. "Alex, who was that on the phone?"
The tension was building and some eyes became fixed on Audrey.
There was an abrupt scream from inside the house that obviously belonged to Mother, majority of the young men ran to her aid. Alex and Carnell on the other hand remained with what appeared to be a concerned looking Audrey.
At this moment Carnell was again skeptical and mentally refused to let this one escape unscathed.
Dustin made it to the room his mother was in first, but to his relief, as he got closer to the room, he could hear her continued arguing. Apparently the person on the phone was in a losing battle. There was no harm done to her though her complexion had paled. She looked a cross between frightened and furious as she yelled into the phone. "You obviously have nothing under control!" Mother's rage was almost tangible. There was a pause assumed to be the response of the person on the phone.
The five young men; Dustin, Kelly, Patrick, Bryan and Landry all stood at the door somewhat relieved that their first suspicion was defused. Dustin and Kelly walked into the room still curious and concerned as their mother lashed out again to the caller.
"What sense does that make?! I'm coming down. Not necessary?!" There was another pause as mother began to look slightly defeated. No, not defeated, mother never was defeated. In this moment she was more deflated and cooling her temper. "Very well I'll come there tomorrow morning. No I care not for your suggestions, I'll be there tomorrow morning and that's final," with that she hung up the phone not particularly caring for the caller's input on her plans.
"Ma, what's going on," Dustin edged closer noticing Mother's hand shaking as she place the phone on its hook.
Mother observed her surroundings quickly and fiercely.
"Patrick, Landry, Bryan thank you for your concern but you can not aid in this conversation." The mentioned then walked away as Kelly closed the door.
"What's going on?" Dustin asked still on edge.
"Detective Moore seems to be having problems with the body," Mother sniped out.
"With the body? How could he be possibly having problems with it?" Kelly asked assuming there'd be a joke or smartallic response from Mother about how mentally handicapped Moore and his men were, and yet he heard other wise.
"There seems to not be one," Mother voiced darkly.
Now Kelly's face began to grow sickly in color as his mother's was. Dustin was phased by the news as well.
...
Bryan was the first to step back out to the patio and a tightness in Carnell's chest seemed to dull.
"What happened?" Audrey immediately asked at his appearance.
"She wouldn't tell us," Bryan replied then slouched into his seat.
"Did you at least find out who was on the phone?" Carnell asked irritated as Landry and Patrick sat down.
"It was Detective Moore," Alex spoke now relaxing a bit in his position by the door.
"Well why didn't you say that from the beginning," Patrick barked out, though his demeanor was less than callous.
"Just testing the waters," Alex replied again glancing in Audrey's direction, Carnell was the only one to observe this window of doubt.
"I doubt he actually knew mom was here," Patrick concludes. "He was probably just hoping she was."
"But why did she scream?" Audrey asked.
"I don't know, she looked mad when we got there, maybe she was just yelling and it sounded like a scream to us," Landry reasoned from beside her.
"Hm, okay," Audrey thought out loud.
...
"No body?!" Dustin disrutly yelled at the top of his lungs.
"We've established that Dustin now you're volume," Mother said with restraint.
"It's impossible, I saw him get shot, I saw the blood. He was down, I saw him down and I saw the blood," Kelly rambled seemingly trying to convince himself more than the others in the room.
"Well he wasn't there," Mother growled. Silence engulfed the room as Kelly shook his head in denial.
...
Scraping of forks on empty plates signify the end of lunch for the few that still sat on the patio.
"If you would excuse me I'll be going back to my room," Audrey said placing the cloth napkin on the table and rising from her seat.
The men at the table and Alex at the door didn't look pleased with the situation but had no excuse to keep her there so no one say a thing.
Audrey vacated the table and disappeared from the patio back into to house all in a fluid motion. Carnell would have accompanied here if he wasn't so anxious to hear the verdict of Detective Moore's phone call.
Walking up the stairs Audrey's echoed steps were the only thing to fill the silence. Whatever was happening she hoped it wasn't going to effect her finally speaking to Kelly. It had been nearly a complete day, or at least half a day without hearing his voice. He hadn't looked onehundred percent at lunch and that took a toll on her to. Maybe she wasn't as welcomed in this situation as she would think. Then again, there was no welcome mat placed before her when she arrived. In fact, she was electricited and interrogated practically after walking into the house. Then snubbed by the head of house and tackled by a brother with a bitter past. Now she was avoided by the love of her life. Why in the world, at any point in the two days that she had been there did she think that she was welcomed? Was the few courtious acts shown to her, the few apologizes, small explanations and common sense, that were not equaivilant to all the bad make up her mind that she was welcomed here?
Now that here mind was open to these thoughts Audrey's mediocre pace quickened. One landing and then another, past room after room until she was there. The only lamination in the room was from the window where the noon light was dissipating as evening was approaching.
Caution of her surrounding Audrey removed the dress hastily found her freshly dry cleaned clothes that she wore on the day of the incident and put them on. After placing the dress back on its hanger and along with the rest of the options on the rack Alex had brought to her she thought of what she had brought with her.
There was nothing here that was hers. In the rush to leave the crime scene, then the dinky motel, she had nothing. Nothing was holding her back, the only thing left for Audrey was to either wait for an explanation or leave the place she wasn't wanted.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Author's Note:
Finally! Gosh I have be gone for far to long. Forgiveness is undeserved. Thank you for reading. Please comment your worst, hopefully it'll motivate me.
Ciao
1Love
ENF2