Dinner is Served

The seating arrangement at dinner was Dustin across from Kelly with Audrey next to him in front her was Carnell and lastly Bryan facing Landry. The table was long and extravagant but all guest that occupied it stayed toward the center seating. All table settings were prepared but dinner had started without any other guests arriving.

First course was a simple salad, everyone ate in peace. The only sounds were the rustling of forks on plates, the movement of servants replenishing dinner rolls or pouring vinaigrette. The main course was when the conversations broke out.

"For the Main course, you will be having Roast Duck with Mango Salsa," Alex announced as servants made hast to remove the old plates and others produced new plates revealing a steaming meal.

"If this smells as fabulous as it sounds, I assume we are in for a treat," came a female voice making its way into the dinning hall.

"Mother," came the shocked voices of Dustin, Kelly, Carnell, and Bryan almost in unison as they stood at her arrival. Each approached her and greeted her in their own affectionate way.

"Mom, this is Audrey," Kelly said bringing the girl forward.

"Nice to meet you ma'am," Audrey said confidently.

"What brought you back here," Carnell asked before his mother could greet the girl properly.

They all sat back at the table as she explained, very discreetly, her vast travels and her venture back home to her children.

"So miss Audrey, tell us a little about yourself," she abruptly spoke changing topic to enlighten her curiosity.

Audrey was stunned by the sudden turn of events. A fork full of dinner prevented her from answering immediately thus her being rewarded with a disgusted look from Carnell, who sat directly across from her.

"She's my guest, mom," Kelly vouched for Audrey.

"I know that, Kelly but I believe I was talking to Audrey," she responded almost coldly. "Now Audrey, where are you from," she continued in a more upbeat tone.

"Middleton, Wisconsin, ma'am," she spoke.

"Really now? And what made you move to Atlanta," by this question everyone had stopped there side conversations and let their curiosity get the better of them. Carnell's eyes, in particular, were intent and his ears seemed to zone out everything but this minor interrogation.

"School ma'am."

"Go on."

"Um," at this Audrey was a little confused and looked for Kelly to help her out, "Clark, for nursing," Audrey said questioning her own response.

"And did you graduate?" Came Mother's quick reply.

"Yes ma'am, top 3%," Audrey wasn't trying to impress anyone when she answered she just hope it was enough to stop being the center of attention, having two siblings that always had to show-off, she was used to everyone's eyes not being on her.

" Well isn't that lovely," the mother cheekily said saluting Audrey with her glass of wine. "A word with you after dinner, Kelly," she announced and went back to her plate.

Dessert was served a little later when conversation began to erupt around the table again. After being interrogated for a second time in the same day Audrey felt no need to speak again for the remainder of the evening.

Audrey never asked to be put into this predicament, she just was. She ate silently and thought of all the event she had went through today. She had shot and most likely killed a man she assumed she was alleys with, was tortured for information about herself, was nearly shot herself by Kelly's brother, and lastly was questioned by what seemed to be the hierarchy of the family. The stress of the day and the dominance this mother had definitely intimidated her into silence.

Kelly squeeze her thigh to comfort her but as soon as Audrey was done dessert and others began to move from their seats and about the room Audrey, unlike the others, turned in route for the room she woke up in. The room she now regretted leaving.

Carnell's eyes followed her slumped figure until she reached the landing at the top of the steps. He hadn't trusted the girl and hoped to get his mother out of the house as soon as possible. He believed that his suspicious nature thrived from the encounter with Kelly's last guest of honor and the "explosive" impression she made on the family. Fear of a repeat catastrophe is what made Carnell skeptical of Audrey's intentions. It also coerced him into following her up to her assumed destination.

"Kelly, come," mother commanded. "Dustin you as well," she continued. They both followed her down the hall like obedient children.

-------------//////------------

Author's Note:

First off, I would like to thank iHeartRadio for helping me find my muse for this chapter. They really are well prepared for a person with writer's block yet a thirst to go on. There is a complete section for writers and the station that became my muse was "Imaginary Soundtracks" that title enticed with good intentions. I feel ever so good about where this music has taken me in this chapter.