Chapter XXVII ♥ Kingdom Surprises

For some reason, I expected the banquet to be like the dinner with the Adams family. I was severely mistaken and quickly figured out this was in the context of the Spain banquet. The entire Royal Family will be attending, and I wasn't necessarily glad about that. Some of my cousins weren't all that dignified. They were dukes and duchesses, earls and viscounts. Some of their heads were too big for their shoulders to hold. I didn't necessarily enjoy their presence.

"Hey, can I use your laptop at dinner?" Sarina suddenly asked me and I turned to regard her with the strangest look I could muster.

"Why would you want to take a laptop to a royal dinner?" she found my expression funny, immediately beginning to laugh.

"No, I'm not allowed to attend the dinner but it's only an hour so I want to watch the new episode," my jaw dropped as I regarded her.

"You're not allowed?" I should have expected it, but in my happy high I didn't realize that my world was still a bit flawed. "But what about you?"

"Remember when I said I bribed your handmaiden? Well I also made plans to get dinner from the kitchen. It's all good," she said casually, checking out her light baby pink nails. It was so strange to see her make such a drastic change in such a short time, but I knew she did it for me. Where did she even get the makeup and nail polish? I was pretty sure she owned nothing but black.

"Are you sure because... now I feel bad," Sarina laughed at me, seemingly thoroughly amused by my words.

"Dude, I had breakfast with the Royal Family. I already got every inch of satisfaction form just that! The fact that I'm riding in a freaking limousine is already overkill. I really don't need nor want to be at that banquet. I would be the prey in front of the bloodhounds," I sighed a little relieving at her words, hearing her sound so sincere. "So can I use your laptop?" I nodded in affirmation.

The banquet didn't start long after and I left my room to join everyone in the hall, leaving Sarina alone with an hour plus to enjoy the newest episodes of one of her favourite series. I would kill to be in her position.

The banquet hall was even more decorated than this morning and the chandeliers were lit, shining bright. This was a more casual banquet because it is not the only festivity of the day and it was scheduled to be 'short and sweet' as my mother called it. On entering I was immediately spotted by one of my cousins, the Earl Lewis, and he abandoned his little social group to come join my side. If I had to choose one cousin, it would have to be him. Only because he was twenty-two as if this year and looked to be finally maturing.

"Melanie! I cannot believe you are still so short!" on second thought, maybe I could skip and join Sarina. He didn't even have the decency to make an attempt to call me by my title and it infuriated me.

"And you are a giant like always, Lewis," I wouldn't dare call him by his title. His figure was nearing two metres in height, towering over everyone. He chuckled at the dry humour, even though I was pretty sure he picked up on my passive aggressiveness.

"How amusing, little cousin! So I heard that you sucker punched your boyfriend in the face! Bad ass, woman! Didn't think the little princess from the palace up on the hill had it in her," I sighed deeply, patting his arm.

"Well, you don't know everything about me," I said with a shrug, walking past him to enter the hall more. I spotted the twins in the corner, being confronted by Lady Matilda, Lewis's little sister. She was sixteen and an absolute pain with resentment towards me. She carried the title of Highness because of her blood ties to the family, but she had nothing else as she was the third child and a girl. She was furious about being a part of the branch family, carrying nothing but hatred to us in the main household. The three children were the sons and daughter of Princess Alice, my mother's sister and my aunt.