Chapter X ♕ Broken

"Alice! Wait up!" I turned to see Caleb running up towards me, his gym bag on his shoulder and his other hand hidden behind his back. On spotting him I felt exactly like how I knew I would: guilty. I felt so wrong for accusing Caleb of cheating on me and dreaded believing it. Cornelius told me that the PI had found nothing on Caleb, and that he was just having an ordinary week. Nothing strange. Molly must've seen wrong, there's no way Caleb would cheat on me.

He loved me.

And I loved him.

We had been together for three years and I he was my best friend for two years even before that. There was no one else but him. He was a flawed perfection, while I was a perfected flaw. If he had been cheating on me I would not have known what I would do. Would I confront him? Would I get my parents to do something? Would I lock myself in my room and ignore the world?

The latter was most definitely what I would do.

Caleb would make a good king, and I did not care what anyone would say. But would it be selfish of me to take his dream of photography and place a crown on his head? To take his precious images of perfection and give him jewels instead?

I had never before thought of it before.

He might not want to be King. He might not want to rule by my side.

Oh no.

"For the lovely, healed up and looking quite freshened today if I can gloat, the Alice!" Caleb came up to me, revealing the bouquet of roses he had kept behind his back. I couldn't help it, I started to cry. "Oh jeez, don't you like roses? I'm so sorry, I though... you know, romantic gestures and all," he turned nervous, scratching the back of his head.

"You idiot!" I cried out, lunging forward whilst wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him tight. He was startled for a second before hugging me back.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked softly, cooing as he rubbed soothing circled into my back.

"I love you," I whispered while pressed up into his chest, crying softly. He pulled me tighter.

"I love you too," he sounded so sincere. Why did I ever doubt him? I made a huge mistake.

Little did I know that Caleb was looking over my shoulder to the studio, his eyes immediately locking with Anna's. She smiled.

Caleb had his gaze on me throughout the entire practice, dancing with me in his arms with his loving eyes staring straight into my soul. Every time I looked up I would see his gleaming eyes, and I could not stop myself from blushing each time. I felt as if there didn't need to be any words between us. Right here, right now, with our body language and our secret talks, we could be eternal. A little nagging within me felt guilty about accusing him and even not telling him who I truly was. He had no idea that I was not Alice Coleman, but I was first and foremost Princess Melanie. And he needed to know that.

I was turning eighteen in a matter of weeks.

With that came new responsibilities and newfound freedom in another world.

In an adult world.

And I wasn't too sure about if I could handle it.

"La perfection! We are getting somewhere people!" Madame was happy. After resting our muscles in her absence, when we returned to the scene we were fresh and crisp, ready for the new week and the improving of the performance. Everything was smoother when there was time taken to patiently think about it.

"Now I feel there is something I need to tell you that is long overdue," at this everyone's attention was caught, their curiosity peaked. "The reason we are practicing so hard, is because this very dance will be performed in six weeks at the Royal Variety Performance," there were immediate disagreements, saying that we would not be ready in time. Others flipped they were overjoyed but most were questioning of why we had not been told of this before. Personally, I was wondering how I would pull it off. I didn't necessary have to sit at the royal booth, right? No one knew me and I would most probably have to wear a vail. The thought was unpleasant.