39 - Sisters (1 of 2)

Like an ancient story

Full of Death and Glory

Remember who we are

..............Let my heart be your shelter

39 - Sisters

More chains had been broken. And by the looks of it, the remaining ones wouldn't hold for long.

As Vincent roared to the sky, the lodestone behind him began to glow. A vortex appeared at the highest point where the three lodestones that formed the Triangle met. It was forming quicker than when we last tried to open a portal using Sathariel's, Luci's and Belial's powers combined.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Alex asked me.

I nodded. "I can't just leave Vincent like that. You heard what he said. He'd rather die than be a monster forever."

Vladimir clenched his fists on his sides, his head down.

"I'm sorry you have to do this, Aramis," he choked out through his teeth. "This was supposed to be my job. But... I can't even do anything for my brother."

I forced a little smile. "Can I ask you a favor, Vlad?"

He lifted his gaze to me. "Anything."

"For what I'm about to do... please try to not hate me."

Vladimir didn't answer. But for the first time, I saw him cry. And at that moment, I saw the kid in him. Placing an arm over his eyes, he hid his tears from the rest of us, nodding as he did.

Max was blubbering, too, before I knew it. Kyoshiro, Hector and Joaquim stayed quiet, their eyes downcast. I thought I saw a tear roll down Alex's face, but he was quick to brush it away. I gave him a pat on the back. He was always the one who was there to comfort me and I hadn't been able to return the favor.

I heard Mei scream as another chain broke. Amyr had somehow been flung several yards backwards before hitting the bleachers. Byron Flynn swiftly ran to his aid. The circle of fire in which Vincent stood kept growing bigger and even Byron Flynn who was supposedly fireproof wasn't able to do anything about it.

"He's opening a portal," Sathariel said, looking up at the whirling black hole over our heads.

"To where?" Hector asked.

It was Belial who answered, "To the Living."

Closing his eyes tightly, Sathariel turned away from Vincent. "The Beast's sole purpose is to destroy. It's first instinct would be to devour as many souls as it can. If we don't do something now, we won't be able to stop him. People will die."

I fastened my draughting boots, stripping my face of any emotion. "Can you divert the portal?"

"To where?"

"To Halo."

Sathariel swallowed hard. "It can be done."

The distress on Vlad's face was unmistakable. "But that's where Adrianna is trapped!"

"Exactly," I said.

"What if Vincent manages to free the Woman?" Alexis reasoned out. "We won't be able to stand a chance against them once they team up."

I tugged on my Nysmic dress. I chose a black one this time, similar to the ones the old Alessandra used to wear. "You know the plan, Alex. If we get this right, everything would go back to the way it used to be."

He met my eyes with a meaningful stare. "Not everything."

"So everyone keeps telling me," I sighed. "But now, it's our best shot."