24 - Sacrifice

Now everything you own is falling from the sky in pieces
So watch them fall with you, in slow motion
I pray that you'll find peace of mind
And I'll find you another time
I'll love you, another time

Explosions, Ellie Goulding

To Katrina Tanjay,

        I wish you happiness and more stories to unfold where ever you may be...

Cairo joined his hands in front of him, regarding me like an old friend would, which was, in a sense, correct.

"So it is true. You've been reincarnated, Alessandra," he said.

Just the sound of him mentioning my old name brought back an ache I couldn't comprehend. Dropping my gaze, I clenched my hands into fists until my fingernails dug into my palms.

"I don't go by that name anymore," I said through my teeth, guilt gnawing slowly on my insides. "Don't misunderstand. The only reason why I'm not hacking you to pieces right now is because I need something from you."

"I know," he answered. "I'm not here for a reunion. But as you might have already guessed, I'm here not to fight as well."

My face felt numb. "Really? Last time you said that, you tried to kill me."

"I chose you to show myself to you, didn't I?" He gave me a stern look. "If it was Vincent standing in your place now, we'd have spent the last minute trying to stab each other in the throat and I'd have failed to do what I came here for."

"Then, are going to be an angel and give us the Grimoire willingly?"

He didn't move a facial muscle, but I could tell he was growing impatient. "No."

"Didn't think so. You better get lost because it's not just Vincent. There's a line of people dying to stab you in the throat and I'm not taking a knife for you."

He let out a sharp breath. I couldn't tell if that was a sigh or a scoff.

"I'm not expecting you to," he answered. "Anyhow, the Grimoire is not and never was in my possession. I can lead you to its bearer. However, I will need you to answer one question in exchange."

I rolled my eyes. "The chicken came before the egg. Happy now?"

The corners of his lips pulled up very slightly, but his eyes stayed austere, seeming to condemn me for faults I couldn't quite remember now.

"I believe you already know what I'm about to ask. Nevertheless, I will still say it," he replied patiently. He closed the gap between us; so close the memories of the past started rushing back to me as if it was just yesterday. "Back then, why didn't you tell me you'd been tasked to murder my mother?"

His words hit me like daggers. Still, I managed to smirk, reaching for the Bind mark on the side of my neck as I did. I knew I should be scared. Angry. But I wasn't. If anything, I felt distraught.

"You're in no position to negotiate." My voice sounded grim, cruel. As if an armor to hide my pain.

He didn't move. Didn't even blink.

"I never thought I'd miss that tone until now," Cairo murmured, slowly backing away. "If you ever change your mind, I'll be waiting."

My whole body was shaking as I watched him go. He didn't even run. He just walked away as though the thought of stabbing him in the back wouldn't cross my mind. He was right, though. I just couldn't do it. Not again.