28 - Will

If only I believed that was true

We'd be living all the dreams in a house with a view

If only, if only you knew how the voices of demons could drown out the truth

Now my one place of freedom is sleeping with you  

28 - Will

My two hours ended a little faster than it should when Alex made his summons through the Link. He didn't say what the matter was, but his mental voice was too stiff for comfort.

Neither of us said a thing as we draughted back to the motel. The silence was unnerving. I wanted to ask Vincent a thousand questions, but I was afraid that if I started to speak, I would never stop. For now, knowing that he cared about me was more than enough.

Whenever I thought of the kiss, it felt as if my heart was swelling, like it was already too big for my chest.

It felt unreal.

At the back of my head, something was telling me that I didn't deserve this little moment of happiness. After all, I was supposed to be grieving for my father's death. Doom's Day was still coming last time I checked. Somehow, I couldn't seem to shake off the feeling that everything would eventually go south on me in more ways than one.

Vincent finally slowed down as we approached the motel grounds. His eyes were vigilant, watchful.

"Something's not right," he grumbled.

Immediately, I scanned the area. "I don't see anything."

"Exactly!" he hissed, grazing the back of his neck. "We've been running around like idiots and no Strays, no wraiths, no nothing. It's like... the quiet before the storm. It gives me the creeps."

Gazing at his face, I couldn't help but think about what Sharifa told me. Was he really bound to be that monster? If so, would he be strong enough to fight his destiny? I had seen him blindly follow Adrianna before. It was as if he was under her spell, out of his senses.

His brows pulled up.

"A," he lowered his face, his eyes searching mine. "Forget what I just said. It's just me, thinking aloud and--"

"I-it's not that." I bit my lip to stop it from quivering.

"Then, what is it, A? Tell me."

He reached for my face, his fingers sliding from my jaw to the back of my neck.

I fought the urge to cringe under the warmth of his hand. It was strange, this feeling of helplessness whenever he tried to invade my personal space. I didn't like that I wasn't in control of the situation. Even so, I couldn't move away from him.

Steadying my breaths, I faced him. "Back in the hideout, Sharifa said something about you... and Adrianna--"

"Legion," he corrected, his eyes steely. "Adrianna's dead."

Clearing the tears from my voice, I shook my head. "She said you and Legion will somehow unite in destroying the world. And she made it sound like there's nothing we can do to prevent that from happening!"

"You know I won't let that happen," he answered, running his thumb down the trail of tears that had fallen from my eyes without my permission.

"It's just... I'm scared, Vincent."

"I'm not going to destroy the world, A. Not with you in it."

I pulled away from him, hands fisted on my sides. "I'm not scared for the world! I'm scared for you!"