Chapter 6:

"Angel. Lori. Time to get up." I said opening the door.

Instead of two sleeping girls, there were two empty beds.

"Angel? Lori?" I asked looking around the room in case they were hiding.

When I didn't find them I ran out their room and down the hall. I jogged down the stairs, panicking running through me.

"Lee? Why are you running?" Mom asked walking out of the kitchen.

"I can't find Angel and Lori." I looked at her, panicked.

"What? They should be in their rooms asleep." She looked at me confused.

"Mom. They're not in there. I just looked." I shook my head.

She looked at me and ran upstairs, past me and down the hall. I turned and she ran into their room only to walk out seconds later, panic all over her face also.

"Where could they have gone?" She asked.

"I don't know. Did dad come here at any point last night?" I asked as we both walked into the kitchen.

She shook her head. "No. After you left I stayed up and watched a little television before going to bed."

"Okay. I'll stay home and help look." I sighed and leaned against the counter.

"No. You're going to school." She shook her head.

I looked at her. "I'm not going to school when my sisters are missing. They could be hurt!"

She grabbed my face, forcing me to look at her. "You're going to school."

"Mom..." I started.

"No. I don't need you worrying about too much. Just worry about school and when you come home you can worry about your sisters. It's not your job to look after them." She looked at me more sternly.

I hesitated before nodding.

"Now go. You're going to be late." She waved me off.

Running back to my room, I quickly grabbed my stuff and headed towards school.

------------

I walked silently beside Nancy as we walked towards her locker.

"You sure you haven't seen Barb?" Nancy asked looking at me.

"Why should you be asking me? I should be the one asking you." I looked at her.

She raised an eyebrow.

"She stayed behind to make sure you go home." I explained to her.

We reached her locker and she looked at me before turning to open her locker. Once she did, Steve knocked the door into the others lockers. I rolled my eyes and leaned against the lockers, hoping this interaction would be over soon.

"Hey." Steve smiled at Nancy.

"Hey." Nancy smiled back.

She put books away and Steve watched her.

"Is everything okay?" He asked once he realized something was up.

"Yeah." She lied. "Yeah. Totally. I just. I feel like everyone is staring at me."

"Oh. I didn't tell anyone." He admitted.

"I know. I know. Of course not." She nodded.

She looked down and he continued looking at her.

She looked up worried. "But what about Tommy and Carol?"

"You're being paranoid." He sighed.

"Sorry." She looked around.