Part 17

Chapter 17:

Later that night I took out Rose's clothes from the room's closet. Victor's trial was tomorrow and I wanted to get these to her as soon as possible. Before walking out the door I quickly scribbled down her name on a card. When I grabbed the door handle I thought of something else.

Setting the clothes down I leaned against the wall, holding the small card in my hand as I carefully wrote Wear your hair up. A lot of female guardians cut their hair to show off their molnija marks. I remembered she had considered cutting it once and I immediately told her no. I loved her hair and suggested wearing it up if she wanted to show off her marks.

Just thinking about her cutting her hair was unbearable. It wouldn't feel as silky, wouldn't be the same when I ran my hands through it. After all it is the feature that got me to notice her in the first place.

I was nervous for her tomorrow, for both of us. If she decided to let her impulsive attitude get in the way I might very well be in the wall between her and Victor. There will be more guardians than necessary tomorrow, trained and tense. Rose wouldn't make it two steps to Victor before someone brought her down. And I was prepared to throw myself between her and Victor to stop her from ripping his head off. Even if I had that urge as well.

Lissa was our priority, we protect her and only her. If something happened to Rose where she got thrown in jail Lissa would be left unprotected.

My heart raced at the thought of Victor exposing us both. Then no one would be able to protect Lissa the way we could.

After calling service I got a Moroi girl to take the clothes that I had assembled for Rose: A white top, black pants, and a black matching jacket. I attached the note before handing it over to the terrified looking girl. Rumors spread like wild fire among our world, so it was no surprise that she was looking at me in both awe and fear. Too bad most of the stories weren't true.

I sighed when I shut the door.

The next morning I got up extra early to shower and dress. An hour later I was walking to the courtroom. The air was crisp this morning, snow laid across the ground and blanketed over the trees and buildings. My hair froze at the nape of my neck, and I had to continually rub my hand over the rough patch of ice. Letting it fall in flakes against my skin and duster.

The courtroom was over in the large, ornate building we'd passed on arrival. Walking through its halls, I was greeted with old memories. The building was both old and new, leaving dank and musty smells as well as fresh cleanser.

Outside, it was all arched windows and stone spires. Inside, it was a hub of modern activity. People worked in offices with flat-screen monitors. Elevators led to upper floors. Sculptures on pedestals stood proudly around the building, guarding everyone and everything inside. Chandeliers decorated the halls.

The courtroom had beautiful murals that stretched from floor to ceiling, and in front of the room, seals from all the royal families hung on the walls. The Dragomir symbol was still there, although there was only one left; and it was bad of me to think this way: I couldn't help but wonder what they would do with it if she died without a heir. That's never happen before, things would change and Moroi and dhampir alike would fight to keep it up.

I turned away, ashamed at the thought. It was my duty to protect Lissa, if I didn't I'm sure they'd throw me in the prisons and let me rot, full of regret and remorse until I died. Shivering at the thought I walked away from the seal.

The seating was split by an aisle down the middle of the room. But this was for the listeners; the guardians who had witnessed that night long ago will be lined against the wall, ordered to watch the trial and to guard all windows and doors.