Part 3

Chapter 3:

After the rest of the novices had left the guardians and I got together reading over the new schedule. Each of them nodding in agreement as they looked the assignments over. My "attack" would be the first one of the day. And Emil was my "Strigoi in crime". Smiling down at the white paper before me I thought of which student will be the lucky one.

After looking over and answering questions Alberta dismissed us. The guardians dispersed as I walked into the cool night air. The snow crunched below my feet as I made my way to my dorm. It was necessary for all guardians to wear black during the field experience.

This wardrobe helps disguise us and make us appear more invisible amongst the shadows. Most guardians wear black all the time, both on duty and off. It's the only "weapon" we have that helps us become immune to the Strigoi's strong eyesight.

After getting dressed in my black leather duster, black pants and a tight knitted black shirt I made my way through the school. Classes had just started so I had enough time to meet up with Emil before attacking someone.

We walked in the shadows of the trees, weaving through them reminded me of the day myself and several other guardians set out to save Lissa from Victor. Except this time we didn't have the sun beating down on our heads.

One of the last bells rang then. Emil and I knew we had to attack soon, and decided this was the perfect opportunity. Sulking in the shadows of the trees he and I watched as the Moroi students and their "guardians" made their way to their next class.

I pointed to two of the pairs: Shane and Jessica as well as Ryan and Camille. Ryan's eyes were scanning the crowd, but not as much as they did on Camille. I would have praised him for intent focus on his Moroi if it weren't for the way he was looking at her. He was checking her out, getting distracted by her and not focusing on his surroundings. Emil and I decided he would be an easy target to attack. So we did.

I let Emil go after Jessica and Shane first, planning out how to get Camille away from Ryan. Emil walked quickly in the shadows of the buildings. With his black attire it was almost impossible to make him out, only his skin gave him away.

Emil was close enough to the two pairs that he could nearly snatch the Moroi girl away and kill her easily. He must have had this planned  because all of a sudden Emil was there, standing in front of Shane and Jessica. He snatched her away, pressing her to his chest and exposing her neck as though he would bite her. The attack caught Shane off by surprise, but he fumbled only a little and recovered as he kicked Emil in the side and wrestled the girl away.

Emil and Shane squared off, a crowd of excited students surrounding the first fight of the day. A few whistled and shouted, cheering Shane on.

I glanced over at Ryan who was so fixated on Shane and Emil that he wasn't even watching his Moroi. I smiled at that, a minute ago he seemed to fall head over heels for her. I took this as my sign to go. Moving just as swiftly and silently in the shadows as Emil had a honed in on my target.

I could feel someone next to me, glancing to my right I saw one of the male guardians closing in with me. Kyle's attack was scheduled right now so I didn't question him as he silently moved with me, targeting Ryan.

Shane was advancing on Emil, his stake was out and ready to "kill" the Strigoi. Ryan was still standing awed by the fight that he hadn't had time to react before I and Kyle attacked.

Ryan didn't have as great as a reaction Shane did. Partly because of his distraction and the fact that he was now facing two Strigoi. Kyle attacked Ryan, distracting him from Camille. I took this as a good opportunity and swiped Camille away from him. Pressing her up against my chest just as Emil had done to Jessica.

She screamed not faking her fear. Her eyes bugging out of her head as she tried to squirm free of my grasp. I exposed her neck, ready to "bite" and "kill" her when it happened.

It was like a black flash of lightning. He landed a blow on my head, spotting my vision. The attack forced me to drop Camille; I spun around fast and advance on my attacker expecting to face Shane, but was suddenly surprised when I saw it was Eddie Castile.

Eddie and I squared each other, circling like panthers waiting for the other to attack. I was about to when I saw another student joining Eddie's side. Shane apparently had "killed" Emil and was now coming after me.

Ryan interrupted the fight when he lunged at me with his stake. He almost "killed" me before I grabbed his neck. Indicating that I cracked it and he was now dead.

Eddies face twisted at this sight, his eyes turning a dark color. His mouth was set in a grim line as if I really were a Strigoi.

If it weren't for the attack in Spokane I would have thought Eddie's expression and determination to kill me was because he wanted a good grade. But seeing his eyes I knew it was much more than that. Spokane had scarred him. He was revengeful for his friend's death and what the Strigoi did to him.

I didn't blame him, he was so young and had witnessed too much. Just as Rose had.

I realized what I had just done, I "killed" Ryan the same way the Strigoi in Spokane had killed Mason. I silently cursed myself for my actions; for what I had just done to Eddie.

I pushed these thoughts away when both he and Shane attacked, they barely rocked me but it was enough to make me stagger back. This was the open window they needed. And they knew it.

Before I could block them they placed the stake over my heart, indicating that I was now "dead". I smiled up at the now panting boys.

Emil offered a hand and helped me stand up as I rubbed the part of my head that Eddie had hit. We praised Shane for being fast on his feet and Eddie for realizing they had to treat this as a group endeavor rather than one-on-one trials.

Ryan was chastised for not paying attention to his Moroi and not acting upon impulse when he saw the danger Camille was in. So much for liking her...

Kyle mentioned Rose's efforts in staying behind and keeping an eye out for both her and Eddie's Moroi. This shocked me; I hadn't even known she was here, and was surprised that her impulsiveness didn't take her over and make her join the fight.

We nodded approval in Rose's direction. She smiled as Eddie approached her and their Moroi. They high-fived and I shook my head as I turned away and left.

As I continued to walk around the campus I couldn't help but think of the way Eddie's eyes bore into mine. For a moment I truly thought I was a Strigoi.  Because of the hatred and longing that Eddie's eyes held. I shivered at that, never before had I though myself as being a threat and the enemy... 

________________________________________________________________________________

Whew.. Okay so I really like this chapter. Especially the part where Eddie sees Dimitri "kill" Ryan the way the Strigoi in Spokane had killed Mason. Although Eddie doesn't remember it, it still hits him hard because he wasn't there to protect Mason. He wasn't there to stop him, and always blames himself for not being stronger and conscious. Even though it wasn't his fault he still blames himself for that.

Well hope you guys liked this  chapter! Thanks for reading!!!

Also thanks Jojoeyanna! Even though you don't have any stories I'm still thanking you for commenting and loving this story!!!

Please tell me how I did on this chapter! I love you guys!

<3LittleDhampir18