Part 6

Chapter 6:

After I watched Rose go I continued to stand in the chilly room. I knew it was out of my place to show my feelings like that, but I couldn't help it. Especially after I took notice in her eyes today. The way they looked so crazed, as if she had gone insane. Yet at the same time, they looked lost, as if she didn't know where she was. A look that said she has truly lost grasp of reality.

The same look I've seen in someone else, although I can't place my finger on it.

Deciding it was time to fulfill the rest of my guardian duties I stepped out of the room and was faced with Alberta.

She had been sitting at the table, but now was standing staring at me. As if she had read all my thoughts.

"Guardian Petrov." I said as I acknowledged her with a nod.

She nodded back, confusion in her eyes as she did so. "Belikov can I have a moment with you?"

Like she had to ask, I was obliged to do what she said twenty-four seven. Although the question made me feel like an equal. "Of course."

She gestured to the seat across from her, which I took without hesitation. After a moment she sat down as well, staring at me from across the long table. I placed my hands in my lap, thrumming them softly on my leg as I waited for her to talk.

She cleared her throat after several moments of studying me. "I need to talk to you about Rose."

A million things went through my mind at that moment. Does she know about our love for each other? Has she found out that I've been lying and telling Rose confidential guardian things? My head spun, imagining all the consequences my future might hold. My hands sweated as I waited for her to go on.

Looking distantly out the blackened window she continued. "She seems strange. I've known Rose her whole life, and never once has she frozen like that. I've seen her train with you, she's relentless and powerful. The incident in Spokane proves just that."

My eyes dropped from her face. Rose. The metallic smell of blood. Bodies everywhere. Screaming. Tears running down her cheeks as she hovered over Mason, threatening to kill us all.

I pushed the haunting memories back, not wanting to show Alberta any weakness. She took my silence to her advantage.

"All I'm saying is that what happened with Rose out there was no ordinary lock up. Especially for a dhampir like her. A novice who has been protected and guarded all their life, sure, I can see them freezing at the first sight of danger. But Rose isn't any ordinary student; she has potential, and has experience. Something that hasn't happened to a young novice like her in a very long time.

"Even a guardian who has killed a Strigoi never freezes at the sign of danger. Especially with a Moroi involved. I guess what I'm getting at is that Rose is hiding something, and possibly lying. I'm asking you to tell me what that is."

Her eyes were like daggers, piercing into my soul. Demanding to know everything Rose hadn't told me in the glass encased room. I cleared my throat, ready to tell her a lie that I knew could get me in huge trouble. But for Rose, it was worth it.

"She was ready, ready to fight Guardian Alto when she got distracted; she told me a student walking in the distance reminded her of Mason. With red hair and the same build anyone at that great of a distance can look like him. She froze, thinking he was back from the dead. When I asked her why she didn't jump back in the fight, she told me it was too late, Alto had seized both boys."

Alberta stared at me, taking this all in. Watching her sit there staring at me in the silent room didn't help my nerves. I wanted out of here, away from all of this. I wanted them to leave Rose alone about her hesitation.

After what seemed like forever Alberta finally nodded. "That seems very possible; I'll remember that next time when Rose tries to use it as an excuse." Not likely.

I nodded and stood up smiling as I walked towards the door. "I'll make sure that doesn't happen then."

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the shortened chapter, I didn't know what to write for this one, and am practicing for Blood Promise where I have about 200 pages of nothing but Dimitri. I'm sorry if this chapter disappointed you ): tell me how I did!

<3LittleDhampir18

Also go check out Emolover1492 story The Presence. It's a Spiritual Thriller story! And I know it will make her happy if you would give it a chance!