Sober

"Hey mom." Cassie strolled into the kitchen and leaned against the counter.

"Hey hun." Her mom set down the bowl of ingredients she had been mixing. "What's up?"

"Well, there's a party tonight and I was wondering if I could go."

Cassie's mom put a finger on her chin. "If you take that Colton boy." She laughed. "He's been good to you. You should take him to the party."

"I will. Thanks mom. I'm gonna go get ready because it's in a few hours."

"Okay sweetheart."

Cassie ran up to her room and walked to the bathroom. She slipped out of her clothes and into the shower. When she got out she dried off and put on a tank top that rose just above her waist line and a pair on skinny jeans. She put on her favorite pair of converse. She put on her ipod and picked up her phone. "Colton?" Colton answered his phone."There's a party tonight. Wanna go? I haven't been to a party in a while and I was wondering if you'd wanna go with me. If not it's fine." She paused waiting for a response. "Oh okay. Cool! See ya when ya get here!" She hung up and smiled to herself like an idiot. "I gotta put make up on!" She ran to her bathroom and applied eyeliner, mascara and some lip gloss. "Perfect." She puckered her lips and laughed.

Since she had become better friends with Colton she had stopped smoking without even realizing it. She hadn't been drinking quite as much and she hasn't been to a party in over a month. She had changed a lot. Her fighting had gone down and she was just happier. Her mother never mentioned how much she ad changed because that might set Cassie off. Cassie started truely smiling. She has been sober for three weeks from all drugs. It's all thanks to Colton.

Twenty minutes had passed and she was still hanging out in her room waiting for Colton to show up. She had been working on her music. Writing lyrics all through her notebook. She even played her guitar, something she hadn't done in a long time. She heard a knock on her door and slid her notebook and pencil under her pillow. "Hey Colton." She smiled. He smiled back and sat next to her on her bed. He was in the same outfit he had worn the first time they had gone to a party. That was also the last party Cassie had been to. "The party starts in two hours. Want to get a bite to eat before it?"

"Sure. Want to go to that coffee shop a few blocks down?"

"Yeah." She stuffed her phone and a couple bucks into her pocket and walked out the door. "Can I drive?"

"No way! You're still too young to drive." He laughed and ruffled her hair as he walked out the door.

Cassie pouted and Colton just laughed at her. They said bye to Cassie's mom, got in Colton's car and drove away. They arrived at the coffee shop and parked the car. When they walked in they were seated right away since it wasn't crowded. Since it was friday night there were a bunch of people going onto the stage and reading poetry, singing songs, reading short stories and other artsy stuff.

"Just go up Cass! Your a great singer! Everyone here should know that!" He pesered her the whole time and she just ignored him. He would't drop it. He bothered her until she gave in.

"Fine! But I don't even have a guitar."

Colton looked around the shop. He stopped when he spotted one of the performers sitting at a booth with an acoustic guitar next to him. He stood up and walked over to him. "Excuse me sir, I'm sorry to bother you but I was wondering if it would be alright if my friend," He gestured to Cassie. "borrowed it to perform one song."

The man smiled. "Of course that's fine with me." He handed Colton the guitar. "Here ya go. Just make sure you give it back when she's done."

"Thank you sir. I will." Colton handed Cassie the guitar and walked her onto the stage. She sat in the stool that was on stage and adjusted the microphone and put the guitar strap around her neck. "Hey everyone. My name's Cassie and I'm gonna be playing a cover of a song I'v been working on. It's called Small Town Girl by NeverShoutNever. And if it's okay with you, I'm changing the words she to he and girlfriend to boyfriend." She started playing. "I got this new boyfriend, he likes waking up early instead of sleeping in, and how he loves me for the dumbass that I truly am, yeah, I got this new boyfriend

and honestly I probably shouldn't even call him mine he's so devine, but he's so co-co at the same damn time and I cant understand why it is taking so much time

to see this small town boy is the catch of a lifetime he don't even know just who I am, no he don't even know just where I've been, no on every broken promise that I've ever made I promise you,

from the deepest darkest corner of my heart just know my love is true." When she finished the song she walked off stae, handed the man his guitar and left the coffee shop.

Colton threw some money on the table and ran after her. "That was incredible! I knew you could sing but I mean, damn! That was amazing!" He smiled. "That really was good."

"Glad you liked it." She mumbled. "Let's go to the party. It starts in thirty minutes and it's going to take fourty-five to get there."

They got into his car and drove to the party. They arrived fifteen minutes late and Cassie headed straight for th drinks. She grabbed two beers. She chugged one after the other. She was mad. She's not sure what it was but something made her snap and she wanted to forget what it was. An hour into the party Colton was sober as could be and Cassie was drunker than could be. Colton decided it was time for her to leave so he dragged her to his car. She was slurring cuss words at him. She was rambling on about how she hated him and was gonna do what she wanted and stupid stuff like that. He ignored her and pushed her in the back seat of his car and drove off. They arrived at her house not too long after and Colton quietly carried Cassie to her bed. Luckily she was easier to handle because she had passed out from too many drinks.

He layed her down in her bed. He pulled the covers over her and kissed her on the head. "Sleep tight Cass. I'll see you in the morning." He went downstairs and feel asleep on their living room sofa. Lucky for him Cassie's mom was already asleep so he didn't have to bother with asking for blankets. He just passed out on the couch and hoped that Cassie didn't mean it when she said she hated him.