Not you again!

It was finally saturday. The week felt long and dragged out. Lucky for Cassie, Ashley was spending the night at a friend's house. It was five o'clock when Cassie woke up. She got out of bed and climbed into the shower. After a ten minute shower she climbed out and dried off. Cassie slipped into her usual workout clothes. She put on bike shorts, a sports bra, and a regular spagehtti strap tank top. She dried her hair and put it into a high pony tail. She then grazed downstairs to slip on her running shoes.

Every morning, since Ashley was born, Cassie would go on a run around the neighborhood. The run would normally go from around six in the morning to around eight in the morning. On her way home she usually stops for a cup of coffee and a cigarette, then she goes home and makes Ashley breakfast.

When Cassie was done getting ready it was a little bit after six. She grabbed five dollars and a pack of cigarettes and was out the door. There weren't very many cars on the road. There were even less people, mostly other joggers. When Cassie checked the time it was already seven-thirty. She started jogging to waffle house when she was stopped by someone. It was Colton!

"Hey Cassie!" He jogged over to her. "How are your bruises?"

"They hurt but I'll be fine." The tone in her voice said "get the hell away from me" but Colton ignored it.

"You probably shouldn't be running until they heal."

"You probably shouldn't be telling me what to do."

"Can I buy you a coffee or something?"

Cassie shrugged. "Sure."

They walked into a local coffee shop and Cassie headed towards the smoking section. They sat at a booth and ordered. Cassie ordered a cup of coffee and Colton, just a water. Cassie glared at him while she lit a cigarette. Something about Colton said she could trust him. That scared her. The last person she trusted turned out to be an abusive drunk, then he got her pregnant. The two stayed silent until the waitress brought them their drinks.

"So," Colton spoke. "why did that guy jump you this morning?"

Cassie shrugged. She wasn't in the mood to talk but had a feeling Colton wouldn't quit until she answered his questions. She mentally fought with herself. She concluded that she is not going to say anything unless he makes her.

"I doubt he jumped you for no reason." His eyes were filled with concern. "You can tell me, I won't judge you for it, I promise."

Cassie shrugged. "It's because I stopped buying drugs from him. He ripped me off so I stopped buying from him. He wasn't too happy with that." She giggled. "Nothing I can do about it now."

"You do drugs?"

Cassie nodded. "And drink. And as you know I have a daughter as well."

"May I ask why you do the things you do?"

"'Cause it's fun."

"Do you really like being known as the school's badass?"

"Hell yeah!" Her grin soon turned into a frown. "No."

"So why do you do it? Why not let people see the real you?"

"The way I used to be is the reason I have Ashley. It's the reason I always got hurt, the reason I was always taken advantage of."

"Not everyone will hurt you Cass." He put his hand on top of hers. "If you let me be your friend and let me help you, I promise I will never hurt you."

Cassie placed money on the table. She stood and left the coffee shop without a word. She started down secluded streets and tears ran down her cheeks. It started raining and Cassie was lost. She ran into an alley, behind a garbage can. She put her back against the wall and slid down it. She hugged her legs and cried into her knees. She heard footsteps running through puddles in the alleyway. She ignored them and continued to sit there.

She jumped slightly when she felt something warm fall over her shoulders. It was a jacket. She then felt arms wrap around her body. She was pulled into a warm embrace. She opened her eyes to see who it was. Colton! Cassie's heart dropped to her stomach. She wrapped her arms around him and cried in his chest. He sat there with her in his lap in silence. He just held onto her tight, occassionaly he would whisper soothing things into her ear.

Somewhere around ten minutes had passed before Cassie stopped crying. She stood and wipped her eyes. Colton's jacket had slid off her when she stood so he put it back on her. He put a comforting arm around her waist and walked her home. It was a little bit after ten in the morning when Cassie got home. The walk to her house had been silent. When they arrived at her front door she went to hand Colton his jacket but he shook his head.

He hugged her, kissed her forehead and whispered, "Stay safe."

He walked down the steps away from her house. She ran up to him and hugged his waist and buried her face in his back. She said in a soft whisper, "thank you."

She turned away and walked into her house.