How could this happen to me?

What the hell is with that Colton kid and wanting to get to know me? Cassie's thoughts were filled with disgust and hate toward's Colton. Why can't he understand that I don't want him in my life? Cassie checked the time and saw that it was almost ten-thirty which is when she is suppose to pick up Ashley. She turned around and started a different route. It took ten minutes to get to the house Ashley was at. She knocked on the door three times before a man with a beard opened it. She gulped. This guy sure is intimidating. "I'm here to pick up Ashley, my daughter."

"Come on in. My name is Stan. I'm Cindy's dad. Sorry my wife isn't here. She's picking up our oldest son." He gestured for Cassie to walk inside. She did so. "Ashley, your mom's here."

Ashely came running up and hugged Cassie's leg. Cassie picked her up and kissed her on the cheek. "Morning sweetheart. I missed you."

"I missed you too Mommy!"

Stan handed Ashley's backpack to Cassie which she put on her shoulder. "What do you say Ashley?"

Ashley giggled. "Bye Cindy! Thank you for having me over."

A small blonde girl hid behind a door and shyly peaked her head out. "Bye Ashley."

"Bye." Cassie left the house with Ashley in her arms. Ashley told Cassie that she wanted to walk like a big girl, so with a laugh, Cassie put her daughter down. They walked home and arrived five minutes later. When they got home Cassie and Ashley walked into the kitchen. Ashley sat at the table while Cassie took a box of mac and cheese out of the cupboard. "Hungry?" Ashley nodded her head fast. Cassie laughed and filled up a pot of water. She set it on the stove and there was a knock on the door so she left the burner off.

She opened the door and froze. Her worst nightmare showed up wearing dark blue jeans, vans and a plain black shirt. Jason! Cassie's ex-boyfriend. The father of her child. An abusive drunk Cassie never wanted to see again.

"You don't look too happy to see me." He smirked. "Is that our daughter?" He nodded in the direction of Ashley.

"Who is that Mommy?" Ashley's voice trembled.

"Go to your room and don't come out, okay sweetheart?"

"Yes Mommy." Ashley went up stairs too her room.

Cassie took a step back, away from him. That's all she could do. She couldn't move, couldn't speak. The only thing she could do was ask herself why he was there. Jason walked towards her and stroked her cheek with his hand. He smirked. "Why don't we go for a drive and talk?" Cassie shook her head. "No? Cassie. Sweet, stupid Cassie. Do you not remember what happened last time you said no to me?" Cassie slowly walked outside to his car.

Cassie saw Colton walking by with someone and whispered, "Colton, watch Ashley." She climbed into the front seat and shut the door. Jason got in the driver's seat and drove away. Cassie stared back at Colton, her eyes filled with fear. Something Colton seemed to notice.

Colton watched the car drive away. He told his friend to go inside and watch Cassie's daughter. His friend did as he said and Colton ran after the car. He followed it all the way to a secluded alley way. The alley was even darker considering it was raining. "Why is she willingly with this guy?" Colton asked himself. He saw them get out of the car. Colton hid behind a trash can so they wouldn't see him but he managed to get close enough to hear what they were saying.

"Did you miss me Cassie?" Colton heard lust in his voice.

"Yeah." Cassie's voice was trembling. It sounded as though she was crying, or at least about to. Something about this guy scared Cassie and Colton wanted to know why. "What are you doing here Jason? Didn't you hurt me enough?" She tried to make herself sound strong. Colton snickered, typical Cassie.

"I didn't mean to hurt you Cassie." Colton peaked out from behind the trash can. He saw Jason pin Cassie against a wall. "Why don't I make it up to?" He kissed her. When Cassie tried fighting back he hit her and with one hand he held her arms above her head. "Don't fight it." He started unbuckling his belt. Cassie was crying.

Colton couldn't take it anymore, he had to do something. "Get the hell off of her!" Colton pushed Jason and Cassie fell to the floor. "You disgust me." Colton sneered and punched Jason hard enough to knock him out. "It's okay Cassie, he won't hurt you anymore." He hugged Cassie. "You don't have to be scared, not while I'm around." Cassie hugged him back and cried into his chest. He stroked her hair. "Shh. It's going to be okay." He helped her up and wrapped his arm around her waist. "Let's go back to your house. You need to change. You've been in the same clothes since last night." Colton made the last comment hoping to get a smile out of her.

Cassie giggled. "Okay."