Introduction

When Cassie awoke she tried to sit up but failed. She looked around to see where she was and noticed the boy from the fight sitting next to her. "How long have I been asleep?"

"Since this morning." He checked the clock on the wall. "And its four o'clock now so you've been out for quite a while."

"Crap!" She pushed herself out of the bed dropping the boy's jacket. "I have to go pick up my daughter! Shit...!"

"You're not going anywhere on your own. I'll drive you to pick your daughter up." He helped her up and out of the school. They walked over to the boy's car. Normally Cassie wouldn't accept rides from strangers but she was in a hurry to get her daughter she didn't have time to say no. She climbed in the passanger seat of his truck as he climbed into the driver's seat. "I'm Colton by the way. Cotlon Sykes."

"Cassie Jameson." She didn't look at him while she responded.

"So Cassie, where are we picking your daughter up from?"

"You go straight five blocks, left two blocks, down three more blocks and I'll tell you which building it is when we get there."

Colton pulled out of the school parking lot and started driving. He stopped when he arrived at a red light. He looked over at Cassie and saw her staring deeply into the world out the window. The look in her eyes was filled with wonder and concern. She also had a glint of fear in her eyes. He looked away when he saw her turn her head and check her phone. The light turned green. He drove two more blocks down before hitting another red light. He started looking around when he smelled smoke and felt the wind hit his face. It was Cassie lighting a cigarette. He was about to say something but Cassie spoke before giving him a chance.

"Turn down into the next alley way. And park the car. I'm going to walk up a little bit and I want your head down. I don't want you to be seen. Got it?"

Colton nodded his head slowly. He wondered what she was talking about and why she wanted to go into an alley. The light became green and he drove to the end of the block and turned down the alley way. When he parked the car Cassie climbed out. She made a point of reminding him to stay hidden and she grabbed her bag. He saw a guy dressed in all black with a hood on at the end of the alley. Cassie walked up to him and they exchanged items. Whatever those items were, Colton was sure he didn't want to know. He stayed hidden until he heard the car door open. Cassie got in the car and gave him a look that said "drive already!". He pulled out of the alleyway and drove to their original destination.

"It's that building." Cassie pointed to a small, home like building. There was a playground in the front yard with pictures of animals on the walls. Colton pulled into the parking lot and Cassie got out of the car. Five minutes later she came out holding a small brown haired girl. The girl had her arms wrapped around Cassie's neck. He assumed she was Cassie's daughter. Colton got out of the car and opened the door of and pulled the front seat foward so they could get into the back seat of his truck. Cassie buckled Ashley into one of the seats and sat next to her.

"Ashley," Cassie's voice was calm and compassionate. "this is my friend Colton. Say hi Ashley." Ashley gave a small, shy wave.

Colton smiled and waved to her. "Hi Ashley. It's nice to meet you."

Ashley Burried her face in Cassie's back. "Sorry, she's shy."

Colton climbed into the front seat and drove away from the daycare center. Cassie gave him her address and he drove there. The first part of the ride was silent but then it was broken by the sound of Colton's voice. "She's cute. How old is she?"

"She just turned two on valentine's day." Cassie was stroking her daughter's hair and watching her sleep. She was so peaceful. So innocent. She has no worries, no regrets.

"Are you still with the father?"

She was silent for a few moments, then spoke hesitantly. "No. When he found out I was pregnant...Let's just say he didn't take it all too well."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."

"It's alright. I don't mind."

They pulled up in front of her house and Cassie got out of the car with Ashley in her arms. "Ill take her in then come get my stuff." She took Ashley inside and laid her on her bed and turned out the lights. She walked back downstairs and out to Colton's car. She took her backpack from the front seat and started back towards her house. "Thank you Colton. For helping me. I appreciate it but I would prefer it if you stayed away from me from now on."

"What if I don't want to?"

"That's not my problem." She looked at him and his eyes were filled with kindness. "It would be better for everyone if we never talked again."

"I don't think so. Everyone needs a friend Cassie."

"I don't need anyone in my life. I have my daughter and that's all I need." With that said she walked into her house and slammed the door without a second glance back.