Chapter 16

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 16

“Get me out of here,” I said into the phone as soon as Paul picked up.

“Why, Hailey? What’s going on there?” He asked and I swear I could imagine the smirk on his face. It was Saturday afternoon and I was in my room calling Paul because I just couldn’t take it anymore.

“Let me give you an overview of my day,” I started and I heard him snicker as I started the story.

*Earlier that day*

I was sleeping peacefully when I heard their voices.

“Chaseyyy!” A high pitched voice called from the corridor and I groaned as I rolled over in my bed. The clock next to my bed read 7:30a.m so I tried to fall back asleep. I was succeeding as my eyelids closed but it ended all too soon as my bedroom door flew open and hit the wall behind it. I jumped and my eyes opened again as two teenagers came into my room.

“You’re not Emily,” the girl said loudly.

“Who are you?” The boy asked rudely, his voice even louder that the girl’s. I blinked at them, wondering who they were before I remembered that they were the famous cousins.

That’s when I realized that they looked the same. They both had orange hair, blue eyes, freckles, and glasses on. They were both wearing jeans and a red shirt. The only difference was that the girl had longer hair and plucked eyebrows.

“Maybe she’s deaf,” the girl –Olivia—whispered to her brother but because her voice was normally too loud, it sounded like a normal person talking.

Olive looked back at me with a calculating gaze and I sighed as I rubbed my eyes.

“I’m Hailey,” I said and they both jumped in surprise.

“She can speak!” Olive said and I winced at his loud voice.

I gave him a forced smile.

“Emily’s room is to the right,” I said, indirectly kicking them out.

“Don’t you want to meet us?” He asked.

“I—” I started to tell them that I already know who they were but Olivia cut me off.

“Of course she wants to meet us! Everyone wants to meet us!” She said.

“You’re right,” he replied “Everyone knows that we’re the best twins in the world.”