Chapter 38

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 38

“Hello?” I said into the phone. Why Paul was calling me, I had no idea. They left around thirty minutes ago for their ‘triple date’.

“Hailey?” He said, his voice panicked.

“What’s up?” I replied, sitting up on my bed.

“It’s Alex,” he started and my heart skipped a beat. “His parents got in a car accident and he’s at the hospital but no one will tell him anything and he can’t see them. We need at least another hour to reach the hospital, please can you go and stay next to him. He needs someone right now.”

“Okay,” I replied quickly. “See you soon.”

I hung up and ran out of the house, not caring that I was still wearing sweatpants and my gray Mickey Mouse sweatshirt and not caring about how my hair looked like. Alex needed me now and that’s all I could think of at the moment.

Seven minutes later, the taxi driver stopped the car in front of the hospital.

“Thanks,” I told him, handing him the money quickly before hopping out of the car.

I ran inside the hospital, not even noticing the cold that was outside compared to the heat inside. The only thought that was running through my mind was that I had to see Alex right now.

The friendly nurse led me to the waiting room. I scanned the room and immediately spotted Alex in one of the red plastic chairs, hunched forward with his head in his hands. My heart broke when I saw him like that and I couldn’t imagine what he was feeling right now.

I quickly made my way to where he was sitting, ignoring the rest of the people in that room. I sat in the chair next to him and put a hand on his shoulder to get his attention.

His head moved to the right where I was seated and his eyes widened in surprise. I felt my eyes well up with tears when I saw his puffy eyes, red nose, and tear stained cheeks.

He didn’t say anything, he just stared into my eyes and I immediately pulled him into a tight hug. A few tears escaped my eyes and I scolded myself for crying right now. He needed me to be strong for him, not cry like a baby.

I discreetly wiped away my tears before he could see me crying and then pulled away from the hug.

I felt more tears wanting to escape when I saw him crying again but I forced them away.

I lifted my hand and gently wiped his tears away. The last time I saw him he was crying as well and I don’t think I could see him crying anymore.

“I’m not going to tell you that they’ll make it because I have no idea if they will, but I know that I’m here for you no matter what,” I said softly.