Chapter 37

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 37

“Were you eavesdropping?” Chase asked.

“N-no,” I stammered as I stood up. “I just… I um I love sitting on this carpet.”

Paul smirked at me and I shot him a glare. Chase snickered and shook his head at me.

“You should get awarded for coming up with the lamest excuses in the world,” Paul said and I scowled.

“Shut up, idiot,” I said and he chuckled.

“What a lovely weather outside,” Chase said in fake happiness. “Let’s go for a walk, Paul.”

I rolled my eyes at them. It was freaking raining outside. “Don’t get struck by lightning!” I called over my shoulder and they laughed.

That was it. Moment of truth.

I took a deep breath and looked up at Alex. His blue eyes were shining with tears as he looked down at me.

“How much did you hear?” He croaked out.

“What are you talking about?” I asked and mentally slapped myself for it. Really? What are you talking about? That’s the best my brain could come up with?

“What did you hear, Hailey?” He asked again.

“Oh you know, your voice, Chase’s voice, and Paul’s—” I kept on mentally scolding myself as I rambled. Wow, my brain doesn’t work well when I’m nervous.

“Hailey!” He cut me off.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a brief second. No more lying, I thought to myself.

I then walked into the game room and pulled him with me. I didn’t want to have the conversation in the hallway because I had a suspicion that Paul and Chase were ‘taking a walk’ in the kitchen right next to us.

I sat on the couch and he sat next to me. We stayed silent for a few moments before I finally spoke.

“I heard it, Alex, I heard enough.”

He lowered his head and put both of his hands on either side of it. I kept on looking at him, waiting for him to say something, but he didn’t. Instead of hearing him speak, I saw two tears escape his eyes. It didn’t stop there because many tears followed after.

My heart squeezed at how sad and hurt he looked.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered as he lifted his head slightly to look at me. “I’m so sorry.”