Chapter 23

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 23

“When are we going to get there?” I asked Alex as we drove.

“We’ll be there in a few minutes,” he replied, smiling knowingly. I’m getting impatient here.

“It better be worth it,” I muttered but he heard me.

“Trust me, it is,” he said.

“If this is a prank like that one time you said you were taking me to an amusement park and we ended up in that crappy burger restaurant that doesn’t even serve burgers, I’m going to kill you,” I said and he burst out laughing.

“It was April Fools!” He defended and I scowled at him.

“I didn’t sleep the night before because of how excited I was!” I said, remembering that day. Alex had said that he was taking me to an amusement park and after driving for no less than four hours, he confessed that it was all a prank and then our date ended up in the worst restaurant ever.

“You didn’t speak to me for three days,” he said, pouting.

“You’re lucky I didn’t dump you!” I retorted, crossing my arms over my chest. As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted them. I’m sure he would’ve preferred if I dumped him like that than the way I did.

“Uh…” I started but he cut me off.

“We’re here!” He said, shooting me a grin.

I smiled back and was grateful that he didn’t comment on my previous words.

It was now dark outside so I couldn’t see clearly where we were. Actually, I wasn’t able to see anything.

“Where are we?” I asked him, confused.

“You’ll see,” was his reply as he jumped out of the car. I did the same and went out of the car.

“Give me your hand,” he ordered and I did as he said. I smiled when his hand held mine protectively. His hands were something I really loved about him. Weird, I know, but they were always warm no matter how cold the weather was and when my hand touches his, I instantly feel calmer and happier.

“Alex, I can’t see a thing,” I told him. I was walking blindly since I couldn’t see anything. I only knew that there were leaves and grass underneath my feet because of the crunching noise. Suddenly, my arm bumped into something and that’s when I noticed that there were trees too.

“Are you okay?” Alex asked worriedly when he noticed what happened.

“I’m fine,” I reassured him. “But are we in a forest?”

“Maybe,” he replied and I rolled my eyes at him.