Chapter 4

They walked to grab their fish and chips before making their way to Molly's door. After a bit of fumbling with the keys, Molly wrenched the door open and Sherlock met the indeed slightly wonky eyes of the tabby cat waiting for his owner to return.

"Hey, Toby." Molly leaned down and scratched his ears, he purred loudly and wound around her feet as she walked through the living room, "I'm just going to go grab something a little comfier. Just hang that big old coat of yours on the rack, Sherlock. I'll be back down in a minute."

He chuckled as she deposited the bag of fish and chips in the living room and ran up the stairs. She returned minutes later in some comfortable but slim leggings and a large jumper that looked like it could have belonged to her Father. He allowed himself to watch her, to take in her beauty, as she went into the kitchen to get plates. Molly was slightly astonished that Sherlock was in her house and knew Meena would go insane when she told her tomorrow, but for now, she was trying not to let it go to her head. She didn't want to ruin the friendship that had developed between them.

Sherlock plopped down on the comfortable grey sofa and glanced around at the subtly pink living room which had somewhat plain walls and furniture but large pale pink pillows and a woven pink and grey rug on the floor beneath the coffee table. He also noted the teddy fleece blanket thrown across the back of the couch. Molly was right, the house was definitely girly, but not garish. He could tolerate living here. Sherlock shook his head to remove the incredulous thought. It was fish and chips for christ's sake, no one was saying anything about moving in. He jumped when the small tabby cat hopped up onto his lap. Toby was barely out of kitten stage, clearly rescued from a London shelter when they first arrived. He stroked the tabby which then curled up on his long legs, enjoying the warmth and comfort Sherlock's large hands provided.

Molly came through with the plates and two cups of coffee along with two cups of juice and two glasses of wine on a tray. Sherlock smiled, always so thorough.

"Sorry, I wasn't sure what you'd want so I just brought a bit of everything. Don't worry, I know it's black with two sugars-" she paused when she spied Toby nestled almost too contently on Sherlock's lap.

"Something wrong, Molly?"

"What? Oh no, nothing, it's just ... Tobes, he-he usually hates strangers. He mostly goes off to Loo's bedroom in a strop and lays on his cushion in there. I've never seen him like this with someone who's not me or Loo before." She shook her head almost imperceptibly as if shaking away a thought before changing the tone to a more lighthearted joke, "Just shove him off if he's annoying you."

"Oh no, he's perfectly fine. I don't mind at all. I'm glad the little tyke likes me." Sherlock was shocked as the statement left his lips, knowing full well that if he was any type of animal person, it was dogs. But Toby came with Molly and Loo and so Sherlock scratched under the cat's chin and received a loud purr of appreciation in return. Molly giggled.

"Daft cat."

They sat and ate their meals in comfortable silence. Toby padded away when the food was served, knowing the rules of the house, but as soon as the empty plates were deposited in the kitchen, the tabby had leapt back onto the couch and cuddled between Molly and Sherlock, begging attention from both of them. Sherlock gave in first and stroked the feline as Molly poured them more wine, the glasses from the meal already empty.

"I have Netflix, we could watch something on there if you want."

"That sounds nice."

"We could watch that documentary about those murderers? Maybe you'd enjoy that?"

Sherlock smiled at how much thought she was putting into watching TV with him, how much thought she was putting into their whole impromptu evening.