Chapter 15

John and Sherlock were sat in opposite armchairs in the living room, the space had a similar set-up to Baker St, something that always made Sherlock internally chuckle. He knew his best friend wouldn't be able to leave 221B without taking elements with him to this new home. John took a sip of his drink as Sherlock swirled his in his hand.

"Have you told her yet?" John's question made Sherlock's head snap up from his glass.

"No."

"Why not?"

"It hasn't been the right time."

"Sherlock." John sighed, his best friend truly was an exasperating piece of work.

"What?"

"Come on."

"Again, what?" Sherlock was lost as to what John was hinting at.

"The right time? How do you know when it's 'the right time'?" He'd used his fingers to place inverted commas around the phrase.

"I'll just know."

"What if there's never a right time?"

Sherlock didn't reply, he went back to swilling the liquid in his cup.

"Sherlock?"

"What?" Sherlock was now also becoming exasperated with the Doctor.

"You need to tell her."

"I know." He sighed.

"So why haven't you?"

"I-I ... I don't know."

"And you're sure?"

"Sure of what?"

"Sure that you love her."

Sherlock rolled his eyes. He didn't need his best friend questioning his feelings when he was so unsure of his own capability to love Molly the way she deserved as it was.

"Really, John?"

John put his drink on the table so he could place his hands up in the air, signalling innocence.

"I'm just making sure."

"I know what you expect me to say, what everyone expects me to say."

"And what's that?"

"That I don't love her. I obviously don't have any feelings for Molly. I don't have feelings. She's just another asset."

"And is that the truth?"

"Of course not." He took a deep breath. He seemed to need to do that a lot when facing his feelings, John supposed it was because he'd suppressed them for so long. "I love Molly, I know I do." He paused, "I've never felt this way about anyone before. I just- I need to figure out how to tell her, I want it to be special." He looked up at John with a look in his eyes that John didn't recognise, but that he immediately pitied. "I need it to be."

John suddenly regretted questioning his friend.

"Okay."

Sherlock blinked.

"That's it?"

"Yeah."

"After all that?"

"I believe you, Sherlock."

The men smiled at each other.

"Thank you."

Their conversation was interrupted as they heard the front door open and shut.

Both men looked at each other in confusion, before their immediate reactions kicked in. Both heads turned to check the toddler in the corner was still where she should be, which she was.