Chapter 39

School had started again rather smoothly. Sherlock and Molly both got straight back into the swing of things easily regardless of everything and Loo had settled nicely into her new college with Amanda, Benedict and Martin. Molly was glad they were all still together, they were thick as thieves and she wouldn't change it. Even if they did completely take over her house whenever they came round. Thankfully, they were monopolising Ben's house this weekend and Sherlock was out on a shopping errand. Thankfully, neither her sister nor her fiancé were present to watch Molly Hooper stare so hard at the bathroom door that she could probably burn a hole in it if she tried.

She'd forgotten in all the chaos the regularity of her cycle. It seemed Sherlock had too, because she knew for a fact that he knew it as well as she did. His 'random' monthly purchases of extra chocolate and her and Loo's favourite crisps, coupled with his fairly regular deliveries of hot water bottles to two grumbled Hooper sisters on the sofa was a dead giveaway for that one. She fondly remembered how he'd been quite fascinated by the whole 'syncing of cycles' thing and even more so when he realised there was no true scientific evidence or reasoning for it. But here she was, sans her need for a hot water bottle which Loo had needed 3 weeks prior. And so, she was staring down the bathroom door as the test sat in the bin, probably not burning as much of a hole in the bin liner as it was in her stomach.

She knew it was possible. She knew the science. She knew condoms aren't 100% effective. She also knew that not being able to take her pill for those days she was 'away' (as she'd come to call it) had messed up her birth control. And now, she knew she was pregnant. What she didn't know, was how Sherlock was going to take it. A thousand different unclear and scrambled possibilities were like a cyclone spinning around her foggy mind and her leg bouncing up and down on the barstool was annoying even herself. She jumped to her feet when she heard Sherlock's key turn in the lock. Everyone had to lock the door now, coming in or out. The door that was now fitted with military-grade locks courtesy of Mycroft Holmes, equipped with what she imagined was government level outdoor surveillance cameras. Thankfully, Sherlock allowed her to draw the line on indoor cameras. She'd hate for someone to be able to see her as she went about her daily life. She was also aware of added security on her phone, and Loo's, though that side of things was all a bit too techy for her to bother about.

"Hello, my love." An absent-minded kiss was pressed onto her forehead. "Now, they didn't have that one face cream you like which you're running low on so I bought all of the other ones I could find with the same or similar ingredients and just thought you could give them all a try and-"

Bags deposited on the countertop, Sherlock finally looked at her fully. Something was off. She looked worried and bursting with happiness but also terrified and a bit excited. It was far too much emotion for his brain to process so he was amazed that her petite body was able to handle such paradoxical capabilities.

"Something is wrong."

"No." She knew she'd hesitated for a moment too long, adding a "nothing's wrong" for good measure and a little more believability.

Obviously, he wasn't buying it.

"Molly."

She had to stifle a smile at that tone. That tone of slight warning underlined with enough care to wrap your heart in a woollen blanket of trust. The perfect fatherly tone.

"Seriously, Sherlock. Nothing is wrong."

"Fine." He took her hand and dragged her into his body, pressing a soft but insistent kiss onto her waiting lips. "But something is not right."

"Nope."

Another frown.

"Something is off."

She twisted her face in thought. "Hmm, still no."