Chapter 20

It had been a mere week since Robert's public display of affection. Jane was still in a state of shock from Robert's declaration of love and ever since had been trying to work up the nerve to say it back to him. He never pressed for her to say it, but at the end of each day when Robert dropped her off and they kissed goodbye, a mysterious shadow always passed over him.

Nobody had really said anything at school openly about Robert and Jane but everytime she walked through the hallways, people couldn't help but whisper. Janice, Jeremy and Jerry seemed like they'd already forgotten about it, while Maggie and Calvin still kept their guard up.

Today, Jane had just gotten out of an amazing ballet practice and was on her way to see Robert. She had become ten times more cautious and now throughly checked the scene before she darted out to his car.

He was sitting inside, still sweaty from training and his crisp hair sticking to his damp forehead. When Jane knocked on the window, he looked up, that glint that always appears when he sees Jane showed up. Robert leaned over and lifted up the lock allowing Jane to slip in.

She threw her bags in the back as always and took her hair out of the tie, letting it fall in long waves. By now, Robert would've pulled off, but he continued to stare at Jane.

"What is it?" Jane questioned, running her fingers through her dark caramel colored locks.

"We've been doing the same thing for awhile, and I just wanna switch it up a bit. Ya' good with that?" Robert asked a bit hesitantly.

Jane shurgged, "Depends. What do you have planned?"

"You'll see," and with that Robert leaned over and kissed Jane on her cheek.

They drove for a short amount of time until they reached what looked like a patch of trees. Jane squinted but all her eyes saw was trees and more trees.

"Um, Robert. Where are we?" Jane looked around the car.

"Come on." Robert opened his door and started walking into the dense woods.

Jane scoffed and hurriedly opened the door to catch up to Robert. She walked closely to him.

"Robert, please tell me where we going. I'm still in my ballet clothes." Jane hissed at him.

"Shush, what part of suprise don't ya get?"

"I don't like suprises!"

Robert stopped dead in his tracks, making Jane keep walking a few steps ahead of him. She looked back at him, confused, then walked back up to him.

"What?" Jane whispered.

"Do you trust me?" Robert lifted his eyebrows in wait.

There was no doubt about it, Jane trusted Robert more than anyone. But she didn't know what sort of trust he was talking about right here and now.

Words failed her so she just nodded slowly.

"Then shut up and follow me." Robert flashed his breath-taking smile and clutched her hand.

Jane smiled to herself as she trailed behind him.

Pretty soon, the trees started being less and less dispersed. The two walked a bit further until Robert told Jane to wait. She did so as he crept away. Jane shifted her weight and crossed her hand onto her elbow, waiting patiently. She wondered what Robert was planning, and why he trying so bad to keep it a secret. He wasn't planning to... Jane's thoughts got the best of her. Robert was certainly not planning to take advantage of her, was he? No, of course not. Robert wasn't that kind of guy.