Chapter 9

Jane stumbled into school, her legs weak. Robert was the sweetest cherry in the bunch, and she would never settle after tasting his sweetness. Jane watched as he headed over to a group of boys who greeted him with back slaps and high fives. She was startled to see that there were a few black boys in group. None of them even noticed Jane.

She tore her eyes from Robert and scanned the room for her friends. After a while, Jane found Janice, Maggie, Calvin, Jeremy and surprisingly Jerry, with his arm wrapped securely around Maggie's shoulder. Janice looked worried out of her mind, while Jeremy rubbed her shoulder affectionately. When Jane arrived at the table, Janice sighed in relief and captured her in a bear hug.

"Jane! You alive! Where in god's name were you? You weren't in first period an' you decide to show up at lunchtime?" Janice spilled, frowning at Jane.

"Janice, breathe. I just needed a break. By the way, I ain't in your first class no more." Jane sighed, sitting down next to Calvin who gave her a small smile, nibbling on his tuna salad sandwhich. 

"Hey, ya'll." Jane exclaimed excitedly. 

Maggie smiled at her, dipping her head towards Jerry, and blushing when he kissed her on the forehead. 

That was so past adorable. Maggie had wanted to get with Jerry for as long as Jane could remember, and now it was actually happening. She was so happy for her. For her and Janice, they'd finally got their dream guys. Was it finally Jane's turn? 

Janes eyes almost subconsciously drifted to Robert's table. He was presently flicking tiny tomatoes into brown colored cups, and he and all the other boys would hoot when he made one in. How had Jane not noticed a being as perfect as Robert before? She must've surely saw him during school at some point. But still the past few days were her only reckonigiton of him. 

She smiled to herself as Robert placed a loose strand of hair back into it's place and looked up. His eyes met Janes automatically and a warm smile lit up his face, he winked before turning to his head to the voice that had called his name. Jane looked as some white girl with a pale face and dark curly hair walked up to Robert and placed a peck on his cheek. 

What in the hell was she doing? Jane thought angrily to herself, that was her cheek. The one she had kissed hours ago, who did this bimbo think she was? Jane glared at the girl and watched as Robert's warm smile dropped and his lips settled into a straight line. His eyes darted around, the blue becoming conflicted again. It made his eyes a stormy gray. Finally, Jane realized what he was doing. He didn't have the guts to look Jane in the eye. He didn't have the guts to know he'd led her on even though he had a girlfriend.

Jane gulped thickly and put a strand of hair behind her ear. Her eyes went down to the table then back up at Robert who had finally decided to look at her. His eyes looked more sorry then confused. He looked like he was about to say something, that was until the girl blocked Robert's face and planted a long, wet kiss on his lips.

Tears pricked at Jane's eyes as she finally snapped back into reality.

"Jane! Hello! Whas the matter with ya' lately?" Maggie demanded, snapping her fingers in Jane's face.

Jane looked at her, feeling as if she could burst out crying right now. Jane dared to sneak a glance back at Robert to see that the two were still lip-locked but Robert was breaking away. That did it.

Jane gasped and finally felt the first tear fall.

"I'm-I'm sorry, I can't do this." She cried as she got up and walked quickly from her seat.  

Everyone at the table exchanged confused looks as Maggie and Janice got up to go after her.

Jane was almost to the door when she looked back at Robert. He now stood up, his eyes wide and his hand reaching out to her. His girlfriend looked shocked and mad as she looked from Jane to Robert in confusion.