Chapter 19

And so Jane and Robert continued their secret romance, cherising whatever time they had left with each other. It mostly consisted of Robert giving Jane a ride every morning, flirting in first period, spending time together in the hallway the last ten minutes of class and Robert taking Jane to his hideout, which he now called "theirs" after her ballet practice and his weight lifting.

 Currently, they sat on the hood of Robert's car, Jane's head in his lap as he traced shapes on her arm. They'd been together for two and half months now and while they'd had a few close calls, no one had discovered them yet. Robert and Jane tried to clear their tracks as best they could. 

The radio was playing inside of his car, it was some song neither of them was really into, but didn't want to leave the others comfort to turn it off. So there they sat, watching the puffy, pearly clouds meander by and just enjoying each others company. 

"You know, I think ole Richard's given up. It's been two months and he ain't told a soul yet." Robert explained, happily.

"I bet thas what he wants ya' to think, but when we least expect it, he'll annouce it to the whole school, then our parents." Jane sat up, grabbing the coke they'd left on the hood and taking a gulp.

"I hope you're wrong." Was all that Robert said.

---

Another two weeks passed and Jane's life hadn't changed. Robert and her were still 'dating', Calvin was still upset with Jane for some reason, and Jane's parents were also still upset. The situation with Richard hadn't changed either, and for once, Jane was actually starting to believe he wasn't going to tell. 

Jane now sat in second period, reading a suprisingly interesting page in her textbook about human reproductive systems. When all of a sudden her bladder felt as if it were about to explode. She quickly waved her hand in the air to get the teacher's attention.

"Ma'am!" Jane exclaimed.

"What is it?" 

"May I be excused?" 

"Did you finish reading the assigned pages?" 

Jane nodded swiftly and when her teacher gave her a subtle nod, she darted out of the room.

Walking cautiously, she headed towards the bathroom. She was almost there when she heard footsteps then felt the hair on her neck stand up. She whipped her head around to meet Richard's chest. As she backed up, she didn't bother to keep the glare off of her face.

"What do you want, now?" She spat.

Jane was suprised to see a genuinely sad expression plastered on his face instead of his usual snarky grin. What was going on?

"I needa tell ya' something'. Somethin' I probably should've said a long time ago." Richard looked down at his feet.

"Okay, go on then." Jane prodded.

"Well, I been thinking a lot and I realized that I really care for you. Care for you more than any other girl I've dated, and whatever you do or whoever you choose to be with in life, I should support you. I'm sorry about those horrible things I said earlier, but I take all of them back now! If you wanna date that white boy, I'll keep quite because I know he makes you happy," Richard pauses to take in Jane's shocked expression, "Did that make sense?"

Jane nods very slowly, for she had not seen this coming in a million years. Giggling with excitment, Jane slammed into him in a tight hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! You really don't know how much this means, Richie!" Jane yelped.