Chapter 17 - Who's Sorry Now?

"Doug's birthday is coming up in a week," Annie said as she put Jess's breakfast plate in front of her one Saturday morning. 

"Oh?" Jess replied, realizing Annie was taking advantage of the fact that Doug was sleeping in.

"He's going to be sixteen," she added with a proud smile.  "I can't believe it.  I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday."  Jess smiled, watching her almost tear up at the thought.  Annie really was like a mom to both of them, she thought, just like she'd told Louise.  "How about I take you shopping so you can get him a birthday present?  We can buy you a winter coat and boots while we're at it." 

"Okay," Jess agreed happily.  Over the last few weeks, the weather had gotten progressively cooler, but when the temperature suddenly dropped below freezing the day before, Jess was surprised to find she'd grown since last winter and her old coat no longer fit. 

"We'll go Monday right after school, alright?"

"Uh, yeah," she said, giving Annie a smile to hide her disappointment.  That meant she wouldn't be able to see Marty. 

"Swell!" Annie said on her way to the sink with the frying pan.

While Jess ate her eggs, she looked out the window at the nearly barren trees beyond the garage.  At least she'd be able to tell Marty so he wouldn't be wondering where she was on Monday, and they had the whole weekend together.  They could even do some extra homework so he wouldn't get behind. 

Jess knew he'd never admit it, but homework had become very important to Marty.  Now that he'd seen how his teachers reacted to him doing better in school, he was no longer willing to put it off.  He'd even insisted on doing homework the day before, even though they'd had the whole weekend to get it done. 

Or perhaps he'd insisted on it because it was so cold outside, Jess thought.  He'd been keeping fires going in the fireplace and cook stove to keep the cabin warm for a few weeks, but it had been so cold on Friday that even though he'd been wearing his heavy cloth coat, and she'd had on jeans and two sweaters, both of them had sat shivering at the table for the longest time.  Even after the fires had been going for a few hours, the little cabin never did warm up completely. 

"Annie, do you have any old blankets I can take outside," Jess asked.  "I want to do homework, but it's so cold."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Jess," she said while she dried the frying pan with a dishcloth.  "I know you're doing your homework in the woods.  They'll get too dirty."

"I promise I'll keep them clean," Jess said earnestly.  "I swear it!" 

Annie looked perplexed as she gazed at Jess, but when her expression changed to realization, Jess's heart sped up, understanding what a terrible mistake she'd just made.

"You're going to the cabin," Annie said in a hushed voice, her eyes widening with alarm.  Jess frantically tried to think what she should say while her heart pounded in her chest.  She considered denying it, but from the look in Annie's eyes, she knew it wouldn't work.  Annie already knew it was true. 

"Please don't tell Uncle Jonathon!" she begged as she jumped up from the table to go to her.

"You're right that I shouldn't tell him, Jess!" Annie exclaimed with fear.  "No one is allowed to go to that cabin!  You can't go back there ever again," she stated emphatically.

"No!" Jess cried.  "Please, Annie!" 

"Do you know what he'll do to you if he finds out?"

"I need to go there!  I have to!" Jess begged desperately.  Seeing bewilderment in Annie's eyes, she realized she was treading on dangerous ground.  She couldn't let her guess any more of her secrets.