18 | Truly Yours 2

Christina Marie Lee-Cole

After finally completing the moving process, me and Jermaine knew that it would only be right to have a house warming party. Not only could we use some new items for our new home, but we could also use the company of our friends and family helping us celebrate a new chapter of our lives together.

Both of our friends, along with Claire and her family, and even Mama Cole - are expected to be in attendance. Both me and Jermaine were too lazy to prepare food for our guests, so I had Jermaine pick up a large pan of chicken wings, along with a pan of small finger sandwiches and a few 2-liters.

We had a set time that we ideally wanted people to show up at, but of course black people never showed up any where on time. Once everyone we invited eventually showed, it was time to turn on the music, and dig into the food. But of course, when ever something good happens, something bad always had to come out of it.

Apparently Claire thought that it was good idea to bring her mother along with her.

The moment I saw Claire's mother walk through the door behind her, Logan, and their children - I was ready to dismiss all five of them. Jermaine, along with Miguel - knew how me and my mom's relationship was and they found it inappropriate that she was here too.

"Look at my beautiful daughter," Claire's mother smiled as she approached me with open arms.

I gave her look as I had no interest in hugging her.

"Oh shit," Miguel silently whispered, knowing that something was bound to happen.

Jermaine was too frozen in place with shock to say anything.

"Girl don't act like that. You may be grown but you're still my baby," she wrapped her arms around me.

"Who the fuck are you?" I snapped, forcefully pushing her away from me, causing her to stumble backwards.

Everyone suddenly looked at me with raised eyebrows, including her - shocked to see another side of me. I was shocked myself. I rarely became angry. Jermaine attempted to calm me down and told me to just leave the situation alone, but it was too late. I've held my tongue for too long.

"You aren't my mother and never was! Grammy was a better mother to me than you ever was! All you ever cared about was Claire! Claire was always the Beyonce, and I was always treated like Michelle!" I screamed, quickly feeling hot tears stream down my face.

Jermaine and Miguel both nearly spit out their drink at my Beyonce and Michelle comment, but the comment was true.

"Good grades in school always came easy to Claire and you praised her for it. I would bust my ass to get an 'A' and you would just push me aside! You bragged to all your friends about how smart and involved and beautiful your daughter Claire was, but you always seemed to forget that you had another fucking daughter!"

The room suddenly grew quiet as I wiped my face free of tears. I guess I felt that I was finally done 'making a scene'. Of course that wasn't all the pain that I had bottled inside me, but we would be here all day if I did give her all of my mind. I just gave her a small piece.

"Maybe bringing mom was a mistake," Claire awkwardly stated. "We'll just step outside."

"You think?" I practically screamed at her.

Claire knew the type of relationship I had with our mom, and I felt as if bringing her in my new home was major disrespect and a huge slap in the face.

"Matter of fact, how about you all step outside?" said Mama Cole, giving me a reassuring pat on the back. "It's obvious that you guys need to all talk some things out."

"For what? I have nothing else to say to her."

"Girl stop being stubborn! What did I say? Just like I made you and my son fix the shit that was keeping you two apart, you need to fix with you and your mom have."

"But -"

Mama Cole then gave me a 'girl-if-you-don't-get-your-ass-outside' look as I knew there was no winning this battle between her. I let out a sigh as I followed Claire and my mother outside.

It felt as if me, Claire, and our mom were outside talking for what felt like hours. Me being the person I am, I didn't want to speak to her at all, but I knew Mama Cole was right. We needed to fix our relationship just like me and Jermaine needed to fix our relationship.

Who knows where both of us would be in life at the moment if it wasn't for his mother knocking some sense into us.

Eventually, I explained to my mother everything I had been bottling up, and she gave me an apology for all the pain that she had caused. After everything she had put me through, I didn't know whether or not to accept her apology, but I knew that as a grown woman I had to but on my big girl panties. In addition, I don't know how, but the apology actually seemed sincere.

She didn't have much of an explanation to why she treated me the way she did, but she apologized for the damaged that was already done, and stated that she wanted a fresh start. She was willing to put the past behind her if I was willing to let her finally fulfill her role as a parent- even though I was now an adult.

They say it's always best to forgive and forget, so that's what I did. But boy was she wrong if she thought that everything was now all fine and dandy. I wasn't going to keep throwing the past back in her face, but I damn sure wasn't going to pretend it didn't exist.

Finding that it would be best if she didn't stay, she left with me her house warming gift that she brought, then was on her way. Claire apologized for the billionth time afterwards, even though I reassured her that it was fine. I just let her know how I felt regarding me seeing it as disrespect. At the end of the day, Claire was my only sister, and I wasn't going to let the relationship we spent so long repairing and building - go to waste.

After returning back inside the house, everyone gave me a round of applause as Mama Cole, followed by Jermaine of course - embraced me in a hug. I now felt embarrassed though, and ashamed that my friends had to witness my family drama be brought to the light.

Feeling the need to apologize to everyone, I quickly made my way to the middle of the room. After getting everyone to settle down, and making sure I had their attention, I started my apology.

"I'm truly sorry you all had to witness that. What happens between me and my family should stay behind closed doors, but eventually I guess some things has to have light shed on them."

"Preach," said Jhene as she gave me a short round of applause.

"Wellll," Miguel said in his best church voice as he stomped his foot.

I laughed at how silly they both were before continuing.

"I really hope you guys can forgive me and .. and -"

I tried to finish my sentence but I felt a knot suddenly began to form in my throat. After taking a big gulp, I heard a small pop - similar to the sound of someone cracking their knuckles, then a gush of water flowed down my legs as if someone had turned a water hose on full blast.

"Her water broke!" Mama Cole yelled in excitement as she quickly jumped up from her spot on the couch. "She's going into labor!"

I couldn't help but stand there grossed out and in embarrassment before Jermaine quickly scooped me up and held me in his arms as if I was a newborn child.

"Are you crazy? You're about to have my daughter and you're just standing there!" he yelled as he rushed out the door, making sure to have Miguel and others grab our things.

"But you're going to get water all over you!" I pointed out - still grossed out to even comprehend the true importance of this situation.

"Baby that doesn't matter at the moment. What matters is getting you to the hospital so I can finally see my daughter I've been waiting on."

I smiled, but it quickly went away as the contractions suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks and a loud yell escaped my lips.